Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Services Card Renewal Online

Options
  • 12-01-2024 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had issues when trying to renew their Public Services Card on www.mywelfare.ie.

The problem I'm having is when I try to upload a photo it keeps giving me errors like:

Your facial features must be clearly visable. Eyes must be open, mouth closed, no glasses.

I have uploaded plenty of photos on other sites with no issues.

I have sent them an email but I haven't got an answer yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with mywelfare.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes This issue Dealt with before.

The issue is the aspect Ratio setting on your phone camera. It is set to full screen by default. Change it to 4:3 and this will resolve your issue. Essentially the photos your uploading to Large.

Oki Doki

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Did this before Christmas and took a few goes to get the photo right but worked fine once got the ratio and lighting right. A little bit fussier than the passport renewal but it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I am trying this online. It wouldn't accept the first photo. But seemed to accept the second one. When I try to progress further, I'm told that an error has occurred. Photo is fine, the correct aspect ratio etc.

I'd recommend you cancel the pending application, log out & start new application.

I did that numerous times. No luck. I ended up ringing the welfare office. They told me that loads of people are having the same issue. It's a software problem. They told me to go to my Intro centre and that they would take a photo and sort out.

Did that and all is good. Should have the card next week.😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Caroline K

Having the very same problem! Have gone to the hassle of setting up a GovID account and then spent an hour with multiple lamps etc. trying to get a photo that the bloody system would accept. Each photo i submitted detected a different problem despite the photos being of more than adequate quality and the aspect ratio correct. I worked in both a camera shop and in a pharmacy for a number of years taking passport photos so I know exactly what is and isn't required. Finally get a photo it likes and accepts and progress that screen to the next step. And get an error sending me back to the home page. I've deleted the old application and gone through the process again and same. Ridiculous set up. My Dad is elderly and in very poor health and I'm going to have to take time off work to take him and his portable oxygen to wherever is the appropriate office. Infuriating!

Sorry to hear that Caroline. It's so inconvenient. I got the impression from the lady I spoke to that this issue has been going on for a while. Surely it can't be that difficult for a government department to hire an IT guy to sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mad dad

Had the exact same problem when trying to renew a card for elderly relative. Took dozens of photos and none were accepted. So eventually rang the helpline number as I read somewhere that the date on current card could be extended for up to three years. A very helpful guy said that loads of people were having problem with photos. He sorted things out for us and the new card arrived in the post yesterday with an expiry date in three years.

I believe this facility was only offered during the Pandemic & no longer available. PSC have to be renewed through my welfare or Face To Face by appointment, as far as I'm aware a person must also have a fully verified mygovid to be able to renew via my welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

An out-of-date card can still be used to collect social welfare payments at the post office and can be extended for three years by calling the Department’s PSC Helpdesk at 0818 837000.  

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-10-19/139/

• Advertisement

Again, this facility was offered during the Pandemic, parliamentary question posed in 2022.

I'd have thought those who've had difficulty renewing via my welfare would have been offered the temporary renewal option , they have not and had to make appointments.

This option no longer available

I used this option in February assisting someone who was unable to renew their existing card.

Perhaps you could enlighten all those who've raised this issue on at least 3 threads as to why they weren't offered this service when they called their Local Intreo centre.

It was a temporary measure during the Pandemic, I renewed mine a year ago, had the same photo upload issues, sorted aspect ratio, problem solved, I did call DSP who said if I was unsuccessful, I would have to make an appointment, precisely what others have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,914 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

None of the Dublin Intreo offices are offering appointments as far as I can tell.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/be29c7-psc-online-registration-centres/#dublin

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Larger Intero centres such as in Dublin don't require appointments, Rural & smaller ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Caroline K

Hi all. I called the PPS card helpdesk and explained the issue and I had tried everything - deleting and restarting the renewal, using different browser etc. Also explained that my Dad is largely immobile. They said that IT are working on the issue but in the meantime she would issue a temporary three year card. I guess they've retained the Covid 3 year card option for use on a case by case basis while this IT fiasco is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭D n G

I've been trying to renew a PSC card since Tuesday and continuously get "Apologies, an error has occurred" and a suggestion to go back to the homepage. It's infuriating especially when I'm trying to help someone out.

I called (081) 883 7000 in February 2024 assisting someone who was unable to renew their existing card.

Their existing card had never been extended and was less than 10 years old at the time.

The card was extended for a further 3 years.

It’s mentioned again at the bottom of the page in March 2023.

I called the same number again this afternoon to ask if it’s still possible and they said it’s possible if the card hasn’t been previously extended and the photo is less than 10 years old.

If you’re having trouble renewing a card, it’s worth calling (081) 883 7000 to see if it’s possible to extend your card.

So you called DSP, assisting "Someone" 🤔

I can see DSP being very helpful with a Stranger calling them to assist "Someone"

As I've stated & answered the questions about links from 2022 & 2023, this option is no longer available & in particular to "Someone's" I did call DSP in March 2023 and was told, like others on this & other threads on the Topic, an appointment needed if a person can't renew through my welfare.

Those who believe your assertions are free to call DSP again

Advertisement