Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Fiber Port Forwarding?

Options
  • 11-01-2024 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Got my Fiber installed today 2 gb virgin media . I dont have the option to port forward in my Fiber Hub . Is this something which needs to be enabled by VM or can I enable it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

im guessing no one knows , I did some research today i have the hub 5x cant even get it into modem mode to use something else to do the forwarding etc I believe , I think VM will be getting their hub back .

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have seen some pics on here of big box of fibre coil, plus router sitting on top of that after install. How does yours physically look?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Don't be surprised to find these modems locked down. All the providers do this. It's relatively simple to get your own kit working with this configuration wise and there is no modem mode here. The router you replace the ISP kit with will need a 10gb interface though to avail of those speeds.

I'm currently with Vodafone on their 2gb package, which is being provided via openeir. I have a Unifi Dream Machine Pro and the 10gb port on the GPON connects directly to it using a standard 10gb SFP module.

found a note that there is a modem mode, but it’s not in the gui, can try going to the page directly: http://192.168.0.1/?page=modemmode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Could it be the same issue as the copper network where they put you on IPv6 DS-Lite so you have no public IPv4 address? And if so, can you still call them to be put on IPv4?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Some routers have a DS-Lite setting that allows you to specify a IPv6 gateway. UDM Pro's definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I got it working on a Fritz before but you still have CGNAT so no port forwarding.

Thanks for all the replies.

Virgin media enabled port forwarding on my hub5x yesterday and all is working now . I need it for voice tracking server for work though a friend had got it working for my clients using ipv6 but not ipv4.

Until then I was getting mixed messages from support . Some said that they don't do port forwarding fo full fiber customers

Happy now . Speed is very noticeable I'm on 2gb though most of my own infrastructure is 1gb at the moment . I will be upgrading that over time.

Very neat. . I have all my equiptment in the attic . I had copper cable into that from the box outside ' the engineer just ran the fiber cable in with the coax which was all ready there and he put the connection box on the wall beside my routers

Obviously it is just that but they were very reluctant to enable ip4 t b is time.

I had the hub 3 with my previous installation and I had got them them to enable ipv4 on that without the hassel I had this time.

• Advertisement

Obviously it is just that but they were very reluctant to enable ip4 t b is time.

I had the hub 3 with my previous installation and I had got them them to enable ipv4 on that without the hassel I had this time.

Apologises I though I was quoting the posts I was relying to.

I a bit rusty . Not used to the new software here

Thanks, I have eir into central utility room via attic Ethernet run, then Ethernet to two main rooms via patch cables to wall points. Most of the kit is in the utility room though, small switch for cctv, various Ethernet connected heating, light hubs and the first of my deco deco mesh wifi units., just eir box beside TV and TV itself on Ethernet otherwise.

Obviously hard to get virgin to the utility room, guess I could let them come through downstairs wall to put fibre in behind the TV, then use a small quiet switch to feed Ethernet to the TV and reverse the direction on the Ethernet patches to connect up the utility room kit. Or even use the cabling to send main feed to utility, use switch there and send a couple back from there for TV and new virgin box.

Advertisement