Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH

Options
  • 11-01-2024 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Many people are rethinking or switching their careers or jobs with the availability of working from home.

Now, many students are deciding to chart their own course to take advantage of this option when it is time to find employment.

Some have found that they love working from home and never want to step foot in an office again.

If you had the option to avail of the WFH option would you take it and if this option was available before would it have had an influence on your current career or job?

🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I WFHd for 18 months over Covid.

Enjoyed it when it started, was a novelty, plus lack of commute was great.

However, found the 1st winter tougher. Not as able to get out for walks during lunch time etc.

Then when next spring came round, missed the social side of work and bit of craic with colleagues.

Eventually was glad to get back into the office. We can still wfh the odd day here or there if needed, and for unforeseen circumstances, but rarely use it. Much prefer to be in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jonnreeks

Fair enough, it all depends on your personal circumstances.

The 'Work Life Balance and Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2023' was signed into law on 4th April 2023. This now gives employees the right to request remote working will be available to all employees.

I guess over time this will have a huge change to the work practices and careers people choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For sure, the work place will be forever changed by wfh during covid. The landscape is now different.

I know many of the big multi nationals are trying their best to get most of their staff back into the office as much as possible. There will always be exceptions of course. A company who doesn't facilitate some sort of hybrid model will be limiting their pool of workers for sure.

But for me, I'm happy to work on site most of the time, with the option of wfh whenever I need to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I dont mind a couple days of week in the office but the lost time sleep from having to get up before 6 and not getting home until 13 odd hours later makes WFH a necessity if I have to go to some Dublin office. So yes, I absolutely make use of the offer of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Absolutely.

I think it's mostly over though. The majority of places are too disorganised to make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

In my experience (Financial Services), 2-3 days in the office per week has become the accepted norm. IT teams are expected in 1-2 days. Working full time from home is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Limerick_dude

WFH full time have done since Early 2017 when I changed jobs. It took some getting used too but wouldn't go back to the office full time for no one! Use what used to be commute time to walk the dog in the morning before work and then again after work so once I come home from the second walk work is done with and the laptop stays closed unless there is an emergency.

Advertisement