Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center parcs longford

Options
  • 11-01-2024 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

is there a thread for this?

I’m thinking of booking in may/June but I’d like to know restaurant and extra activities pricing etc, can you bring your own bikes, what’s the best accommodation to go for etc etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Going tomorrow - will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭baldbear

Bring your own bikes to save money if you can. Only when you arrive you are allowed drive to your lodge to dump your stuff .( Hiring out bikes with the trailer is handy if you have a young kid)

Food is the same price as Dublin prices really. I liked the Indian with the kids. They have a kids menu if they are fussy(nuggets, chips)

Accomodation, I booked the cheapest TBH. You can pay extra to be near the centre location.

Spend as much time in the pool as you can.

We did the Owl/bird experience. It was good. Birds got to land on your arm.(bout €18 ahead .

The off road experience was good too. Suits 3-7 years old I think.

Enjoy . Facebook has a page too for tips .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kissy_Lips

Bring your own dinners. Have a lasagne / cottage pie / bolognaise / curry ready to go. You're out all day then when you land home it's a pain ordering and collecting food since it is so far away and also a pain getting every showered and dressed to go to a restaurant which is also a trek. Just put on you pjs, bang the lasagne in and curl up on the couch with a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

We went last May during the heatwave. Kids had to be peeled out of the place when it was time to go home.

Accommodation was excellent, far better than I expected. We were around mid-way back from the attractions. I wouldn't pay extra to stay any closer, it's not a big site assuming you're cycling. We rented four bikes and a trailer for the baby/toddler and got around the place without any problems at all. The 10yo was more than happy to cycle around entirely by herself. One thing to watch out is that the road signs give directions for drivers but there are much shorter routes for cyclists. You can add several kilometres a day to your exercise until you realise that!

We booked lots of activities long before we arrived but ended up cancelling a lot of them and doing others instead. There's supposed to be a penalty for doing that but we didn't see it. The cost does add up though if you do a lot of them. There's lots to do at the pool and, if it's busy, you can spend a lot of time queuing for the slides so you could spend more time there than you expected. Surprise hit was a squash court kitted out with a projector and camera so you could play games on the back wall. Jet skits in the indoor pool was a flop, my quite-tall 7yo was probably at the upper weight limit for them so she wasn't impressed at all. The pottery class was also very good.

The shop charges a little under Dublin prices so not cheap but not crazy expensive considering the captive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No two ways about it it’s pricey, however I think it stacks up well enough with other self catering and hotels in Ireland price wise.

as above go for the cheapest option and take the lodge they give you don’t pay extra to be close to the centre unless you have a real need like an elderly parent coming. If you can bring your own bikes as cycling adds to it especially for the kids.

you can spend a good bit on activities so pick carefully. My then 7 year old loved laser tag and i did it with him. I did archery on my own and enjoyed it, wife went to the spa one evening and loved it.

food is alright, very samey I feel with similar enough types of menus in the restaurants apart from the Indian. That said don’t think I had a bad meal but certainly wouldn’t blow you away. It could do with something more I feel food wise.

as a family holiday though it’s great overall, my kids always ask about going back. The pool is the highlight for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It is expensive. Bring food for dinners. And snacks.

You pay for all extra activities bar swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is brilliant info folks thanks so much.

If I bring our bikes (four bikes- 2 adult 2kids) can I then rent the trailer for toddler separate? How does it attach or do they do that setup for ya?

I didn’t know you could select a lodge closer for an extra price that’s good to know but tbh we will probably just go for whatever they give us and we will select the entry lodge.

We are a family of two adults 12 year old girl 9 year old girl and 2 year old boy- are there any particular activities you would recommend for the kids and what price would they be?

Also has anyone a link to a price list for the activities and food?

We will definitely bring breakfast and snacks with us and possibly a shepherds pie or something as another poster mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been twice, kids loved it, and so did we.

It really is a top quality spot. Yes it's expensive, I think anyone booking it knows that. But the lodges are fantastic. They set a very high standard. Kids were happy enough to spend a lot of time at the pool, but we have also done the aerial adventure, the laser tag, pottery painting, crazy golf.

Bring your own bikes if you have the room. We did the 2nd year, 1st time round we hired them from a guy outside CP. He delivered them to the edge of the forest, you go and meet him. Think he was about half the price of what CP charge.

Eat in with your own food the odd night, saves you money. Or have at least breakfast and lunch at home, and eat out once per day. We tried 3 or 4 of the eateries and all good. But again can be costly for a family.

It's not a cheap holiday but it's an enjoyable one.

Thanks Niman, we are thinking of doing the 4 nights midweek possibly around may or June.

Do you remember how much things like archery etc were and even how much a meal was?

I imagine €80 or so for a meal for 2 adults and 2 kids plus a toddler- not including alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Honestly can't remember the meal prices, I thought all the menus and activity prices were online, no?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I will buck the trend and say pay extra for the really close lodge. Especially if you plan on coming home for meals with a few kids. The hardship of organising bikes and helmets back and forth multiple times per day vs a 5 min walk.

Going in 2 weeks myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

We’ve been 3 times going again in July, it’s not cheap you won’t save any money v a sun holiday, but the kids absolutely love it, the cost of activities vary from 15 to 80 quid but try book them in advance if possible, as some of the activities boom out,

we do a weekly shop before we go and have our breakfast and lunch in the lodge pretty much every day and then we might go out for dinner 3/4 nights the food is good but every restaurant is similar I’m not a fan of the sports bar for food but it’s a bit of crack fora pint.

bring bikes if you can you will save a couple of quid,

enjoy it!

Thats an interesting point.

How do you book a closer lodge? Is it when you select the “woodland lodge” you then pick one of those lodges off a park map or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Pm sent

Brilliant tips and we might save money vs a sun holiday but there’s no airport hassle which has to be good!!

Yeah you can choose to be in the central area for an extra 50 I think or pay more to pick a particular lodge. I wouldn’t bother but as someone else said it might suit. Nowhere is more than a 4/5 minute cycle away

plan to arrive early on your first day, can’t get in not your lodge until 4 but you can use all the facilities. Park cycle around the park to get your bearings and see where you are staying use the pool for a few hours and grab a bite to eat and then get the car bring it to the lodge unpack drop the car back and you won’t see it again until Friday. On Friday get the car in early pack up drop it to the car park and use the facilitie, pool and lunch at a minimum before going home.

dont overload on activities, pick one a day either together like lazer tag or something like rock climbing for individual kids, whatever they are into.

the high ropes with the big zip across the lake is a very popular one.

some good things on the lake too, inflatable course looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jopper

Some great tips and advice here thank you all.

Looking for peoples opinions on whether the ‘executive’ lodges are much of an upgrade / noticeable difference compared to regular lodges. Also if the lodges that come with a sauna worth the extra money or is it that you are paying extra for just the sauna? Thanks in advance.

Great advice that’s very helpful.

Once question though, when you don’t have access to the lodge facilities I take it there are changing facilities located at the pool to change after the pool?

Also can you take two cars per lodge to centre parcs, would you have to pay extra to park two cars over the four days per lodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

Been twice, enjoyed it, not sure it’s worth the money myself but it’s handy. Definitely bring your own food to cook or go down to the local town and get grub; food on site is fairly shite and over priced.

Will probably go again simply for convenience and kids enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Yeah basically arrive with your swimming stuff in seperate bags just park and go on in use the pool etc, you get a wrist band for each adult at check in (done in the car) this opens your lodge door and locks/unlocks the lockers in the pool. Changing rooms sheets etc at the pool.

parking 2 cars is no issue, you don’t park at the lodge, you can drive to your lodge after 4 on check in day from the car park, unload then drop back to the car park. You don’t need to look at your car or anyone else’s until check out morning. No cars driving around in the park is great.

also one bit of advice someone gave us which was great and not the sort of thing I’d normally get involved in was bring the air fryer with you. It’s handy for breakfast stuff and saving on cleaning up pots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭loco_scolo

Need advice. We're going to Center Parcs in July, the whole family, dogs and all!! 22 of us across 4 houses (4 separate bookings). The activity booking system opens soon.

• How quickly do activities sell out?

• Is there a limit on size of each booking?

• Specifically on restaurants, we're thinking one night out for a group meal (Mum's Birthday). How do restaurant bookings work? Limit on size etc.?

• We have a decent idea of what activities we want, but any recommendations for big groups? We've had a few recommendations for bowling, as it suits all age groups etc...

You can book guests when you make bookings for activities and restaurants so one person could in theory book everything but that might be a bit hairy for them.
    for a big group I’d say laser tag would be great beyond that I’d say most things suit smaller groups of ye.

Advertisement