Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in Soll around St Patricks Day

Options
  • 11-01-2024 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with Soll so late in the season. Conscious the elevation is not that high so would be worried about snow. This would be our 1st family ski holiday so looking for somewhere reasonably priced and not too difficult for the kids who haven't skiied before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I went 5 years ago, sometime around the middle of march.

it was my first time in soll, first time in Austria even, so I didn’t know what to expect, but I had the best weeks skiing I’ve ever had.

we got really lucky, we had the most snow all season and the slopes were almost deserted as it was the only week in march that wasn’t a school holiday somewhere in Europe.

Like I said we got really lucky, but it put soll firmly at the top of my list of places I’ve been for a week skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I went in 2020 in late Feb, was very mild in the first half of the week, got much colder and snowier in the second half. It is relatively low altitude but the ski welt is massive and has solid snow making so I wouldn't be too worried. Austria has gotten a pretty good base this year also so I'd consider it safe enough as you can get the gondola up and down even if there isn't much in the town.

Söll is great value in comparison with anywhere else I've skiied in Austria but I did find it a bit dead nightlife wise, but totally fine for a family trip with kids.

Zell am See is also a good shout in terms of cost effectiveness, not as cheap as Söll but pretty good in the grand scheme of things and slightly higher.

Can get the train to ZAS which can save money on transfers if you're DIY, might not be relevant if you're going with a tour operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Thanks for the tips. we normally go to France so fancied Austria for a change. As its with young kids the missus wants to go with a tour operator and take the hassle out if getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

One thing to consider with the kids, the gondola is a bit of a trek up a road on the other side of a busy enough main road from the town itself. There's a ski bus but where we were staying was not the most convenient for accessing it so we opted to walk it most days. We'd gone through a tour operator at the time so would be worth seeing the location of your hotel relative to the ski bus for ease of ferrying the kiddos.

Would be interested to hear how you get on, have a 2yo so family ski trips are on the horizon and Söll is a place I would have considered for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

will actually be 2025 as we're planning a year ahead but ill try and remember to follow up on this thread 15 months from now. Good tip on the bus as my kids are allergic to walking anywhere..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just a note on tour operators - you don't get passed on the discounts that the hotels in Austria give you for the kids. If your child is under 7, they will most likely be FOC in a half board hotel. I would also mirror what was said about the schlep to the gondola in Söll, it's something to consider. I don't think I'd be going back with the kids until they're carrying their own gear... with no complaints! Westendorf is a great spot for kids. We found Hinterglemm amazing, the ski school is fantastic. And Zell is very handy with the train station.

Advertisement