Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Training Aids & Equipment Reviews

Options
  • 11-01-2024 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

I know there have been individual discussions on aids and equipment before but as more and more golf training aids and equipment are being released that are supposed to help you and make you better I think it is worth starting a general thread with peoples first hand experience and reviews if they have it. I know for every piece of equipment there is a probably a youtube video somewhere of someone reviewing but it is hard to know how unbiased they are so in boards I trust.

For me I've a couple of pieces that I can give a quick review on.

First up is The Hanger which I was advised to get by someone who I was getting lessons off at the moment. It is simple in design and supposed to help you with swing mechanics and club face control. However I found it very flimsy and not particularly easy to setup correctly which is very important for it to be used effectively. For me not something I'd recommend and I regret purchasing.

Next I recently purchased the SuperSpeed system to do some speed training including the PRGR monitor. I'll be honest I haven't actually been able to go through a proper training block with this due to time restrictions but my first impressions based a few sessions I have done are that I think it will likely lead to an increase in swing speed. But I am curious how long lasting that would be if not using regularly and how it compares to the stack system if anyone has tried both. The PRGR monitor certainly seems accurate on the swing speed metric but I question the ball speed and carry distance particularly with the shorter distance clubs. I don't think it handles high ball flights too well. I'll report back on the speed training aspect though once I've actually been through a proper cycle.

I'm also starting to do a bit of strength work and there are so many aids here it is hard to know whether any are actually worth it. One I do think might just be worth it is the 3D strap from whatsthatstrap.com . Seems like this is quite useful in focusing on building the muscles for rotational power but I would be interested to see if anyone has used this or something like it before?

I'm also interested in anyone who use the different sensors that are available, like the Arccos Sensors, and something slightly different the Blast Motion sensor. If anyone has any experience with these would be great to know if they are actually worth it.

Anything else people have bought or tried or would like to get a review on please share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Since you asked for info on sensors.... I have the Shotscope V3 with tracking tags. 

The watch itself is fine. A bit square and bulky and definitely not one you'd wear as an everyday watch like watches from other brands. It gives all the usual information like front, middle, back distances. Plus distances to water hazards, bunkers etc. 

The one thing I really don't like about the watch is that it doesn't keep score. It will do so if you're using the tracking function but not if just on GPS mode. Even then, you need to check the app later when you've uploaded your round so you can see the score. On that note, to get the most from the tracking tags you need to upload the round to the app, then go in and manually edit shots that it may have missed or to clarify to the app that the 4i punch you hit from under the trees was actually a punch out and not a full shot. If you don't do this it messes up your average yardages. This is a real pain to do. Some people may love that sort of stuff but it got more of a chore for me so I haven't actually used the tags in a year now. I just use the watch as a gps and that's it. 

If anyone is considering getting tracking tags I'd advise thinking strongly about whether you'll get the use out of them or not. For someone at my level (18hc) I don't think they're needed. It's pretty blatantly obvious where I'm losing shots during a round. I don't need an app to tell me my ball has sliced out of the earth's atmosphere. But for a low handicap player I can see how it would highlight areas that need improvement but may not be so obvious. 

Shotscope have a newer version out now.... The X5, which looks better and may have a few extra features. 

Overall I think they're a good tool but only when in the right hands and if you're willing to put in the effort editing and analysing your round. 

I previously had a Garmin S12 and it did everything I needed. I regret selling it and often consider swapping my V3 and going back to the S12. 

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

@El Guapo! I previously had a Garmin S12 and it did everything I needed.

What did it do that you needed?

Being ignorant of such devices I was looking at the Shotscope X5 but would like a review of the S12 if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well, the S12 is a fairly basic entry-level GPS watch. It doesn't come with tracking tags or anything like that. But for me, the basic information was absolutely fine.

It comes with something in the region of 35,000 courses preloaded onto the watch. And I always found the gps was very quick at finding what course you were at. With the Shotscope I've often had to try and retry to get the watch going and I could be on the 2nd hole before it figures out where I am.

The Garmin S12 gives you the front, middle, and back distances. It also gives distances to bunkers, water hazards, doglegs, and also layup yardages. If you hit a big drive you can select an option to measure last shot and it'll measure it as you walk to your ball. It also tells you the exact time of sunrise and sunset.

It doesn't have a touch screen like some of the more upmarket versions but the watch is easily operated by buttons on the side. I found the watch very intuitive to use.

Battery life was good. I could easily get 2 rounds or more out of it before needing to recharge it. If you used it as an everyday watch the battery would last a couple of weeks.

After each hole it asks you how many shots you've taken and how many putts. You can see the scorecard on the watch at any time and also on the Garmin app once you sync the round. And on that note, the Garmin app is pretty good. And it's free. It'll store your old scorecards and allows you to look at an overview of your game. While not as accurate as using something with tags, it'll give you an idea.

Overall, I was very impressed with the S12 and it did the job well for what I needed. I was just too hasty in thinking I needed tracking tags which was not the case. If you're after a basic gps watch with no frills then I'd recommend it. And if you'd prefer a better looking watch with colour touchscreen etc, then there's more options available as you move up through the Garmin range. While Shotscope are a very good company, I think in future I'll be sticking to whatever Garmin have on offer. For looks, reliability, and ease of use, I think you can't go wrong with a Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Got the Hanger last year, very expensive as nobody in Ireland sells it so ended up importing from the states. If you struggle getting the club on plane with correct wrist hinge then this is an amazing aid - I was recommended it by my pro to solve the specific issues I have - making such a big change takes time and a lot of reps but I see a big improvement swing wise and I will continue to use this in 2024.

Advertisement