Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering

Options
  • 10-01-2024 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks,

I am an internacional student who want to study engineering. I found a place to leave in Drogheda. I'm willing to study civil engineering.What could you tell me about the course in Dkit. I am thinking there because it is near to Drogheda. Any advices? I saw TUD too, but it look like is 1 45min on commute to go and 1 45 min to return. Thank you for the help. I really appreciate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Hi what course are you going to do?The ordinary degree level 7 or the Hons Degree Level 8?

I am from Dublin and I did a diploma (Level 7) in Civil Engineering in Dublin Institute of Technology now (TUD) from 96-99, when finished I joined the workforce, I then went back do my Bsc (Hons) (Level 8) in Civil Engineering in Dkit, which was a 2 year course par-time from 16 to 18, we were in class with the day-time students. I thought it was a very well run and course with excellent lectures and would recommend it if your are living in Drogheda.

Because you are living in Drogheda (Travelling up and and down to Dublin evey day would be a killer) I would advise you to do the 3 year full time ordinary degree in Dkit. If you achieve and average grade of at least 60% you will have an option to tranfer to the BEng (Hons) in TUD provided there are places available. You will also then have an option to do the BSC (Hons) in Dkit and I think Dkit also now do a BEng (Hons).

You will not have a problem getting a job in the Civil Engineering field if you complete either course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Davis84

Thank you for your answer. I do not know the difference for engineering level 7 or 8. I will try both. thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

It's been many years since I was in third level education. But typically the level 7 is basically an ordinary degree (formerly a diploma, 3 year course) whereas the level 8 is an honours / bachelors degree (4 year course).

Advertisement