Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBI/Digiweb speed slowing down

Options
  • 10-01-2024 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm on a 1gig plan but speeds are down by 30 to 50% since Christmas.

I wonder if anyone else is seeing this?

Mark

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Yeah I've been having intermittent similar problems with Digiweb. Not as consistently severe as that but there's been some bad weeks. I contacted them at the end of Week 46 and they substantially resolved it for 2 weeks before I had issues again Week 49. Grand again this week really now. Looks like contention issues.

Stable Baseline - You can see my usual latency to digiweb network (first hop) is 1.4ms avg.

The worst week (when I complained) - I was getting frequent packet loss and a massive drop in throughput (100-200mbps on a gigabit package)

Support advised me they had done some technical work to solve my issue.

Ongoing intermittent issues most evenings. y-axis cuts off at 18ms but the range was much higher some weeks (see above). But you can see from Week 46 to week 49 it was mostly fine. Week 49 was pretty severe again and I emailed support again.

New Years wasn't great, but other than that it's been reasonably okay (though not perfect).

It looks to me like digiweb have contention issues. Which is a pity because they're peering must be better than eir/vodafone as, when my connection is good, I have better latency than eir/vodafone ftth customers I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

How are you measuring the speed? Over WiFi or wired directly to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

Speeds are measured using a direct ethernet connection with wifi switched off on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bourke646

Hi there. Same as Mark. Speed for download on wired speed test down from 900plus to approx 300. Upload seems to be unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

OK then, my next suggestion would have been to replace the ethernet cable between the router and the ONT, but the excellent graphs that @Tazzle provided (which I didn't see when I posted my comment) seem to indicate that Digiweb themselves may be having problems.

I used to have a FWA connection, which occasionally would suffer from packet loss that reduced the speeds and stability of the link. When it got really bad and I complained, my WISP would change my connection to a different sector on the mast and it usually cleared right up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working with Digiweb support for the last week or so (fantastic support by the way) and we have covered all the basics - swapping cables, wifi on and off etc and they even sent me down a replacement router. All to no avail though. I know it's occurring to at least one other person in Cobh and wanted to see if it's more widespread.

Mark

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm Cork City. There's always the chance it's related to local infrastructure - though you're having issues right now but this week has been fine for me.

Post edited by Tazzle on

That's my thought too. Speeds around 700Mbs down this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bourke646

Hi Mark

My connection has dropped by 60% approx on download. Upload is about the same.

I was getting 900 plus down and 113 up

My latest update:

Speeds are back to normal now (around 920 Mbps) thanks to Digiweb support.

It was a local issue with the NBI infrastructure.

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement