Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtightness at hollow core level

Options
  • 10-01-2024 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

building an airtight house, blocks with hollow core.

I am unsure what to with regards to airtightness below the hollow core where the slabs sit on the inside block, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Biker1

Here's one way of getting it right. This is an area that is generally overlooked and persistently increases air leakage in all the two story houses I test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Is there a public source for these details or is this info related to your work? Looking for detailing for deadwork for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

Would filling the cores in the slab with an air tightness foam also solve this issue? Or perhaps the foam would leak over time.

Filling the cores makes no difference. All the leakage is under the hollowcore and unsealed blocks above the suspended ceiling. These are just some of the details I provide to self-builders when they don't get them from the engineer. Also provide details to engineers and architects who should know better !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

Ah, I understand now. Great info, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

thank you for the info Biker1.

the hollow core is in place already with the block work done all the way up to the roof so cannot put the membrane (it wasn't fitted when the hollow core went in !)

Understand with the plaster all the way to the underneath of the hollow core, that would mean we would need to plaster the inside walls first and then do the suspended celling , not sure how that will work with the plasterer (would need to do it in 2 stages) and the electrician as first fix would have to be done without the suspended ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

As you say, it makes no difference to this leakage at the ends but it should reduce thermal looping that occurs inside the core. Not a big issue though by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

We used airtight paint/membrane under the hollowcore to avoid the plastering timing issue(brought down to just under suspended ceiling level). Many brands out there, I think we used "blowerproof"

Membrane was installed as hollowcore went in also. I would query this with your builder and engineer as to why this wasnt done. Basic detail these days that can make a huge difference in airtightness.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Don't forget to paint all the chasings with airtight paint before electrical first fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

yep the chasing are pained, so is the first row of blocks and the last one underneath the hollow core.

Jus need to seal the connection point between the last block and the underneath of the hollow core, maybe foam ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

We did this, I'd say our electrian thought I was bonkers, also sealed the conduits in the attic with airtight mastic. We wanted to get as close to passive standards as we could, so all the little things added up in the end.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Our plasterer just went around and did the top row of blocks with sand and cement up to the hollowcore (on external walls) before he moved on after finishing plastering outside. It has two jobs, it airtightens the blocks themselves and seals between the wall and hollowcore. It only took him a few hours and he had allowed for it in his price without even asking as it’s standard now he said.

The suspended ceiling went on then and it sits just above where the plaster is so when the plasters is back again he can plaster up to meet the top bit of plastering.

I also went around after and filled any gaps where there is a V where slabs meet with airtight silicone or for a big gap expanding foam and painted over with airtight paint.

Engineer also specified solid ends on the hollowcore where any slab sits on an external wall to prevent air getting into the cores which would in turn get into the house where the slab sits on an internal wall which would not be airtight.

Advertisement