Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back on my vespa... after 25years. Yeah or Nay

Options
  • 10-01-2024 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

hitting my midlife crisis and am thinking of getting back on to a vespa. Back in 1999/2000 I had two px 125's ... with got robbed (id say to order as there weren't that many of them around at the time) but I haven't sat on a scooter since. Im think of getting myself a second hand PX to commute in and out of work when the winter months have passed. Problem is I haven't a clue where to start... I've only a license for a car (don't think I had a specific one for the scooters - maybe a provisional but it was back in the days when you just got a provisional and started to drive). Anyway, am I mad to even entertain the thought? what's the all in cost for getting something reliable enough to get me from Lucan to Tallaght and back ? Do I have to go through the rig moral off getting a specific amount of lessons etc... So many questions I know, but I'm thinking why not? The car is always there if its raining :0)

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Go for it. Ideal for the commute. You likely will need to do IBT and sit your test. Get insurance cost - try online with Liberty to gauge the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

As the above post I mentioned, you will most likely need to do your IBT, which is 16 hours in total for a category A1 which covers a 125cc bike.

I've never owned a bike in Dublin but if I did, one of the first things I would invest in is good security. So make sure to get a good chain, especially if you are storing it outside your house overnight.

Also to note further down the road when you get round to taking your test, if you do it on the scooter you will be limited only to automatic bikes.

Good luck on your journey. 125s are great, especially in Dublin, as they are plenty fast enough for the city and you get great fuel efficiency out of them.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

I would say go for at least an A2 or A so you have more options, you will need to do the IBT regardless. I got back onto bikes after 15 years absence and it does cost a considerable amount with lessons and Safety gear. The insurance may be cheaper for an A2 bike than a 125. I can give you a contact for an excellent instructor if you need, even just to have a chat and go through your options. Best of luck and enjoy the two wheels again

• Registered Users Posts: 34 only_a_newbie

thanks for feedback so far lads. Can someone clarify the difference in the license categories? A/A1/A2 etc? Ive previously had PX125's under me and nothing bigger or smaller.

thanks

scrap that last question guys.... found it on the RSA website.

• Advertisement

Ball park what are the costs excluding the cost of the bike? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As a member of a household of Vespa's, and historically PX's...............do it.

But, yes, you'll have to do your IBT and I would strongly recommend you do it on an A2 motorbike. This will cover you for all eventualities, including (like us) changing our PX's to GTS/GTV's.

In the Dublin area I'd recommend Andy of https://skillsmotorcycleacademy.ie/

My old PX in the pic: sold it after .....27 ? years........now on a GTV/GTS....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

From memory about 600 for IBT and depending on what bike helmet and clothing another 700 plus easy. To do the IBT the instructor can provide a lend of boots, jacket and trousers to keep the initial cost down but you will need your own helmet and gloves for the riding modules. I spent more on my safety gear than I did on my first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I was stoped in Kinnegad Services recently and there were a collection of bikes doing an intro session in the (closed off) back car park. Maybe 10 or 15 riders. I went over to watch for a while and one of the instructors ambled over for a chat. They were all on their first day out and having a great time. Made me think about getting back on two wheels again.

Go for it with a school like this and see if it is as good as you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Do it, I got back into bikes a couple of years ago and picked up a px200 disc... I did the ibt and test and am on a bigger bike now, but if I had loads of spare cash I'd have a Vespa too... I calculated the cost at around €1000 between theory test, ibt, pretest and test... It sounds allot, but in hindsight it seems like value.

• Advertisement

she was a beaut...

very similar to what I had in colour years ago... also had a red one, but that got stolen after about two months.

Advertisement