Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Threshold Lip

Options
  • 10-01-2024 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Disabled mother who uses wheelchair and rollator is getting new windows and doors in. One of the doors links the main house with a conservatory so as such has no exposure to weather/water. I don't live nearby but went to look after 2days work (4 days estimated) and saw this door threshold lip, that a normal person would find a trip hazard in my opinion. It's just under 3/4 inch, but my query is, I know it can't be flush but what's the best you would get away with? All this was discussed with the surveyor, the fitters just didn't listen. My disabled mother was there at the time and struggled to get over the lip she said but somehow told them it was ok :) They had my number for any queries. I will be getting them to take it out and drop it down, for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

At a guess, that's pretty much the best that you'll get with a PVC door as it needs to clear the floor and seal against the bottom threshold. By the look of it they went for a low-profile aluminum threshold already. It might be an idea to engage with the local occupational therapist (OT) who might be able to advise on whether a small ramp would be possible here or would it add an additional hazard to your mother. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lmk123

i don’t think they’ll be able to drop that down flush with the floor, looks like an external door, could ye just put in an ordinary internal door

Actually on that point, it's hard to know whether it's opening out or opening in.... any ramp that I'm talking about could only be fitted to the "washing-machine side" of the door as the threshold is so low that the door is only skirting over the tiles on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't see why the threshold couldn't just be cut out altogether. As said it's not external so no need to weather seal it.

Doubt the door installer would offer that, but it could be a possibility if the frame can still be supported at the bottom as I know that those concrete screws often don't engage with the wall properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gillamandango

Thanks all. Installers first said it was a sealed frame and couldn't drop it down. Then when that didn't wash, the door wouldn't clear the tiled floor on the inside. So I had to get the tape out for these lads and show them the 18mm clearance there was to the tiled floor. The threshold lip was actually 25mm.

They were going to cut up an old door saddle and use that for a ramp. Their other solution was to cut out the threshold.

So now, miraculously, they are going to drop it down at least 10mm or so they say.

I'd guess they are just going to chop the head of the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gillamandango

Yer man had that look in his eye alright, 2hr trip to us and back each day. Am sure they loved that chat earlier.

I did say to drop the door at least 10mm, so that was pretty clear, the dice is still rolling :)

Advertisement