Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove

Options
  • 09-01-2024 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I am thinking of replacing my open fire with a wood burning stove.

Couple of questions if anyone can help please

1) I currently have a wooden fireplace, do I need to replace this with a marble one (i was told the wood fireplace may crack with the heat of the stove)

2)Any ideas on price difference between stove with and without back boiler

3) Do i need to get my fireplace knocked through to allow a stove insert

4)Which stove give out best heat, an insert stove or standalone stove

Any help here very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

An insert stove won't give the same heat as a stand alone one. If you can heat rads with a back boiler stove it it's a no brainer to get that option if you're going to be lighting the stove fairly often. The price difference will be in hundreds and well worth it in the long run.

You won't believe how little fuel you will go through in a stove compared to an open fire, they are very efficient and once you get used to using one after a few weeks there should be no fear of cracking a thick wooden mantle or uprights.

If I was buying a stove I'd go for the multi fuel option rather than just a wood burning one, there is good value in using ovoids or coal and they are easy to source.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ckrath

Thanks a mill @Rows Grower

I though having the back boiler would cost a fortune buts if its a few hundred well worth it

Very helpful. Any suggestions on brands of stove to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

I’d be ignoring this reply if I was you.

A 5kw inset stove and a 5kw freestanding stove will strangely both give out 5kw. So once you know what kw you need then use the same logic.

Every stove is tested for a distance to combustibles. This will tell you if it can be used with your existing timber fireplace or not. There is no broad rule covering all stoves.

Boiler stoves have shot up in price. Expect to pay upwards of €1500/2000 for most boiler stoves now. Plus increased install costs for plumber etc. A room heater stove will be half that. On average a boiler install going to cost 3500-4500. A room heater €1500-€2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

We went with a Heritage Derg about 12 years ago and have no complaints with it.

At the time they were being sold through Right Price Tiles but they don't seem to be doing them anymore.

This crowd in the north came up when I googled it, they are a fine stove.

https://www.cheapstovesnorthernireland.com/heritage-derg-12kw-boiler-stove-185-p.asp

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Brilliant thanks a million

• Advertisement

Thanks @Forge83

How do I figure out what Kw i need pls

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

how does the back boiler part work?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

For a boiler stove a plumber should calculate it accurately. As an estimate you count how many radiators you have(a single radiator is 1 but a double radiator is 2) and add 3kw to the total for hot water tank. This will tell you how much you need for the boiler. Some boiler stoves will then say they have a room heat from 4-6kw but generally they don’t give great heat to the room as their primary function is to heat water.

For a room heater use one of the calaculators mentioned above.

Also the Heritage Derg mentioned is discontinued with 6 years.

Boiler stoves are hard to get now due to new EU emissions regulations. Stratford and Charnwood would be considered the best but you will pay through the nose for them. Stanley way overpriced for what they are. Some good models if you can get them and they suit your requirements would be the Olymberyl Aidan, Henley Druid, Boru Carrig Mor and Henley Achill boilers.

If you are going for a room heater there is massive option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If you already have OFCH or similar fit a stove without a back boiler. Fitting one with a boiler could be costly depending of the layout of copper cylinder, pipework etc. Also in case of power cut or mains water issues which normally happens in severe, stormy, freezing weather, you'll have heat in one room and depending on the stove you fit you may be able to cook a meal or boil a kettle.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice

Advertisement