Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden office mould

Options
  • 09-01-2024 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a garden office from Shanette with 80mm insultation, floor and ceiling is insulated too. I got the room slabbed & plastered, laminate floor. It's been in place just over a year, I started to use a heater about 3 months ago. We have this heater for outdoor seating, I had intended to buy a proper one but haven't yet. 2 of the windows have vents but I only realised today that they were set to closed, set them to open

The mould in the 3rd pic is new. This window is east facing, the south, south west window has ZERO mould.

About 2 months ago I noticed mould. What can I do to fix this (just wipe away?) and prevent it from occurring again (besides vents open, open windows frequently) please? Would a better heater solve it?

Thanks,

Pa.

Post edited by dinneenp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! You must have a cold-spot there at that point where cold air is infiltrating and causing the plasterboard and skirting-board to be lower than the dew-point. That causes the mould to grow. The other factor is that you have particle-board skirting-boards and they are a good source of cellulose for mould to grow on, especially if they are left with unpainted with only a primer or light top-coat. Feel the spot and the area around it tomorrow, if it's cold to the touch then that confirms it.

Fixing it would be a slightly invasive job but I'd be leaning to opening a section of the plasterboard behind the skirting and then pack it with glass-wool or even using a selective amount of expanding foam.

Lastly you could also fit an adjustable vent into the wall and open it when you leave the room (and turn off the heat too), closing it on return. That would reduce the moisture load somewhat and help with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its ventilation. That'll fix it. Ooen a window by a few milimeters when finished in there at night.

Scrub the mould off with bleach. Vent it properly.

Perhaps get a gun thermometer of amazon for about 15 quid to identify cold spots but i doubt thats the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I wouldn’t rule out that there could be a leak around some of those windows either.

Advertisement