Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Winter Rates

Options
  • 09-01-2024 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Usually this time of year some courses that are generally quite expensive have a more reasonable rate for the common man 🙂

Doonbeg is €75 which is good value for such a nice course. Which other 'top' courses have reduced winter rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That €75 for Doonbeg is a waste. You're playing off fairway mats there, so straight away the joy of hitting off Links turf is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I would have always gone for a good winter rate at a top course over the course of the winter , but I'm sad to say, them days are gone.

Royal Dublin is now 125 on mats

Port Links 100 (no mats)

The Island (no winter rate)

County Louth ( mats in service) - no fee shown , but over 100 ?

The European 150 (no mats)

So - if someone can post a good winter rate - I'm all for it , but in the past you could get out on the east coast in winter, but that day is gone.

Again - you might get something more west / North west - But I'd say you are wasting your time in the south west too.

Kinda a sad space - great for them as they reserve their course for the big fees / tourists. , but not for Irish golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

European is 100 during the week for fourball comp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah I was thinking The European is normally €100 during winter

Ya the days of a premium course giving a ‘bargain’ are so far in the distance that we can’t see them anymore. It’s disappointing.

I actually find now too that even GolfNow is more of a convenient way to book green fees and avoiding trawling through different useless Golf Course websites rather than finding bargains anywhere anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Decent rates on top courses 100% a thing of the past post pandemic, we gleefully kept them going when the visitors were not coming but now they've all highly increased their prices out of the reach, balls if I'm paying €100+ to have a bad day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I think another aspect that is a bit annoying to me ..the paddies are allocated the scrap heap of bad weather / course works / temporary arrangements/ forward tees.

This was all well and good when it was like 60 quid and you genuinely would take the rough with the bargain.

But for over 100 quid , your in a totally different space ..expecting championship level and no sand or pole forking, temporary arrangements etc...

Not to mention..the 10 M/S wind at 5 degrees ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'd imagine they don't care about the business from locals and it's all about keeping the sense of "elite" or "premium" status for the wealthy tourists.... OMG I played on x course and paid €500 for the privilege....They don't mind stumping up given what they expect to pay in the States for Pebble etc.

Lahinch, Portmarnock and the likes make millions in green fees off the back of their status. They don't want to cheapen or reduce the perceived attraction which may potentially have knock on commercial effects. A few grumpy GUI heads are way down the list of priorities.

I wish it was different but barring some opens, special events or guest rates there is no value for likes of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I disagree.

Your tee shots are unaffected.

Your chipping and putting in and around the greens is unaffected.

You can move your ball over to the side rather than use a mat.

The 5 par 3s are unaffected

So 13 second shots off a mat / move to side

Maybe 5 third shots on Par 5's.

So around 20 mat shots (assuming you even hit the fairway)

You also get use of the driving range and practice areas for the €75.

Well worth going early and make a day of it.

Definitely not worth it - I’m saying that as a fan of Doonbeg and have played it multiple times (luckily not having to pay full rates mind you).

The Main joy of a links course is hitting off the different turf and getting to play different shots. You just can’t enjoy that with the fairway mats.

Moving into the rough is stupid stuff - I’d expect that from a €25 course.

If you think the €75 is a decent deal it’s concerning.

• Advertisement

I think there is an interesting variability in winter programs across Links courses and that is an interesting topic that I have observed over the last few years. I've learnt to live with the mats - but I know of many golfers who refuse to play on a course with them. To charge near and over 100 quid when mats are in play - is off the fairway stuff.

But for once to give clubs a break. I do think many Irish golfers have a completely unrealistic expectation of price. They refer to figures from 10 years ago - they think about stuff that went on during the economic crash and covid.

As golfer we have to accept that all costs have gone up and inflation is insane - this has an impact on every single aspect of course maintenance / club operations and staff costs.

This idea that you can get out for 50 or 60 quid on a world class links is out of date. But at the same measure when you are heading North of €100 in mid winter , with all the limitations that have been mentioned here. It is in reality saying - we don't really want any Irish business in reality.

We are basically getting to a point - we have handed over our top courses to tourists. Is sad - as Irish golf always had an element of comradery and union.

Each to their own but apart from Spanish Point and Lahinch Castle there are very few courses playable in the region at the moment.

Lahinch are building a mega club house. I think they have something like €8 million in the bank from green fees. Also spending millions on irrigation.

I hear next summer members will only be allowed bring 1 guest out too.

But you are right, a lot of courses gone totally unreasonable in terms of giving reasonable rates to GUI members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

If you want winter rates or summer rates for rhat matter, go to Carne. I think the Golf Ireland summer rate is 60 euro. Winter, probably 50 euro. I'm a life member there. I have played all the big links bar the North and donegal, Carne is better than them all. I would pick lahinch, Waterville, doonbeg, European club or any of them over it.

27 holes of the most sensible, unique and incredible golf experience in the country. A welcome that would beat all others, great food, great pints in in town.

If you want an overnight trip when the forecast is nice, go play two rounds and I guarantee you will leave thinking to yourself "I cannot wait to go back and play that course again"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fair points, but you need to continue past 13 shots from the mats, bit more than that for us mortals

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Us mortals won't be on the fairways too often to need mats in the first place. 😂

I'd say 15-20 shots off a mat would be about right.

Better golfers = less shots

Poorer golfers = more shots from the rough

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Would agree with this to an extent, if the greens at carne were to a higher level it would be incredible. Tricky given the elements & budget limitations they face. Still up there with my favourite courses though, maybe I caught the greens at a bad time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Was there a few times this year. Greens are really good. Lot of investment put into the course, facilities etc the yanks love the place, so popular with them. I think the Irish just don't know about it. A hidden gem in every sense. 11th best course in Ireland in the rankings for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Need to get out there again - top weekend away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Advertisement
Advertisement