Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission for a larger shed

Options
  • 09-01-2024 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

My backyard is roughly 45m2 and I wanted to construct a shed for a homegym that's in the 25m2 to 30m2. From my cursory reading, I need to leave at least 25m2 between the house and the shed, so wondering what's involved in getting planning permission and roughly what should I expect in terms of timelines, prices (ballpark estimates), etc?

What I was told so far is that I need to apply for planning permission, I need to put an ad on a newspaper, send a letter to my direct neighbors informing them of my intent, but that's all! I was wondering what else is needed and, what would the architect role here be?

Also, sidequestion: If I end up "Accidentally" creating a shed thats 2 m2 over the limit, what would be the repercussions? I was told also that it would just make selling the house later on really hard (perhaps impossible without becoming compliant) but I also heard anecdota reports that they might not care if it's been like it for more than 5 years, really appreciate any thoughts/anecdotal evidence here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont believe everything you hear and it seems as if you have heard a lot of what make the grass grow greener on the prairie. Get a local planning agent (architect, engineer or technician) to give you proper advice and prepare and submit a planning application on your behalf. The agent will look after everything including the newspaper and site notices.

I have no idea what the letters notifying the neighbours is about.

If you dont apply for planning and build the shed you run the risk of being prosecuted not to mention the fact that you wont be able to apply for planning permission for anything else (house extension as an example) and also face the obvious problems should you ever decide to sell or even re-mortgage the property.

Do it once and do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

looks like the max size shed you could build is 20msq.

usually you can build a 25msq without any planning ,but as you say you must leave at least 25msq space.

so 45-25 leaves you with 20msq shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Get a local planning agent (architect, engineer or technician) to give you proper advice and prepare and submit a planning application on your behalf. The agent will look after everything including the newspaper and site notices.

I have no idea what the letters notifying the neighbours is about.

Yes, I agree completely. What my solicitor suggested was that you need to send a formal letter by post to your neighbours letting them know you're building it.

Thanks for the advice. I thought an architect was required, but you mention technician or engineer also, what's their role? just speccing out the infrastructure is sound and not likely to collapse, etc?

Any ideas about the timelines involved?

so 45-25 leaves you with 20msq shed.

Indeed, that's also what I came up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No need to send a letter to neighbours. Get a better solicitor.

The architect, technician, engineer will all have the same role for planning permission. Speccing the structure and construction details so it does not collaspe does not form part of the planning process and is not required for a shed imo.

Advertisement