Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant property grant (do they backdate)

Options
  • 08-01-2024 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello. I bought a derelict cottage. A lot of work put in to it had to re do foundations/windows/doors/walls everything bar outer walls.

But all done before the grant came in. So I am just enquiring if anyone has applied or received for the vacant/derelict property grant and got it. Like do they backdate it ? i only just found out about the grand this would of help so much 😩

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

nope no backdating, you have to have bought the property or be in the process of buying but not living in yet until they come out and do inspection, then once that's done I believe you can commence works move into 1 room etc. while waiting on approval which is usually granted if it fits criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Give Dermot Bannon a shout, say he could swing it for ye..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skippy3

Im in the same boat. missed out on vacant and derelict grant and because i didnt buy a new house i missed out on help to buy aswell.

watching room to improve the couple lived in the house then moved out and applied for the grant and got it? I don’t understand that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That's weird, because I have been in contact throughout with the Vacant Home officers for south Dublin (can't speak to the other areas, but I have found them helpful and responsive - also very useful to clear up grey areas in writing, e.g. we weren't able to get 2 years of builds but they confirmed seller's solicitors letter to state vacancy is perfectly good), and it was made very clear to me to NOT move in prior to work being fully completed and looked at by them etc.

The logic being that the house is supposed to be essentially uninhabitable (even the 50k one - though this can include things like G BER rating etc), therefore if someone was living there in the two years prior, the house was surely habitable and thus not eligible for the grant. Likewise for moving in before works commence or are completed.

I don't watch that show so may have missed some context, but it sounds like RTE/Bannon may be intentionally misleading people there.

Advertisement