Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woods no longer with Nike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's kind of cryptic. It could be seen as a new chapter with Nike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

My take as well that it's not phrased in the usual manner of someone leaving. I was wondering could there be some new partnership with Nike that involves his young lad too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Nike had a post up that indicates the partnership is over aswell, so I figure they're done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

why would anyone even care?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Because it is a golf forum - and this sponsorship was one of the most iconic and symbolic in the history of golf. Tiger with Nike and the subsequent advertisements - was a massive influence in modernising the game. Making it young , fashionable and showing a new generation that golf could be different. Yes, obviously Tiger himself was the main factor - but Tiger actually used the image of Nike and the adds and even what he wore as a mechanism to make a statement . Even up to being political - a thing Tiger is not known for now , and a thing golfers were not known for.

The use of his clothing - and even the red was a massive part of his story and his psychology - The chip shot at the Masters and the Nike aspect of all that is perhaps one of the most iconic moments in Golf in the last 30 years.

Nike was also a massive part of showing that the modern golfer - was an athlete , not a frumpy man in an odd jumper.

So - I guess many would care, or at least be nostalgic about a very special time in golf - a time when golf was changing and you were watching it become cool - with a rare once off talent.

So people would care - or at the least think about about the end of a very significant part of a special golf era. Nearing an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tigers nike chip in at the final round of the master was good... but the most iconic moment in golf in the last 30 years was more recent. I was there when Slave1 and VW1 closed out for a 3&2 win on the 17th hole in Headford new to put the ryder jug in boards hands in a historic 6:0 win 😍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I can only concur, Tiger's Master chip a close second😋

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

tiger has never been political, way to narcissistic for that

I don't think this is a golf issue in the slightest since all they make is clothes and shoes at this stage

no more so than the Ian Poulter clothing range

• Advertisement

joking aside...it's huge news, akin to Michael Jordan ending his Nike relationship, lots here have huge admiration for what Tiger has done for the game and Nike have been there since the infamous Hello World press session way back, Nike is still huge in the golf attire world.....

He’s the biggest draw for viewers in golf and one of the biggest in sport. He’s on and people watch. News like this is big no matter what people think

its about as interesting to me as what any other influencer is wearing

he is an old broken man and not a particularly nice one at that, hard to see the appeal at this stage

basically golf is a bit boring I suppose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tiger opened a whole new market for Nike, the sport was known for being for white guys and next thing this cool guy comes along and golf apparal is "cool", just think of the amount of TW baseball caps you'd see around the place not just on the golf course. Golf has moved on a lot with the like of Rory pushing it, Nike was just rebranding a lot of kit as well so I guess they don't see the value in it anymore.

Unfortunately millions aren’t like you. I’m far from a Eldrick fan. He gets a soft touch from the media.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Why bother comment then?

Are you the type of person who gets annoyed (assuming you're a male) when you see an ad for a tampon? If it's not for you, it's not for you. Not every needs to know how interesting you are by not having an interest in things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This thread reminds me why I muted Monkeybutter previously. Didn't know why I did but no need to change it now.

Folks, any concerns please use the Flag button, thanks

@monkeybutter No more flaming posts else warnings, if you have no interest in this thread then just ignore, thanks

Advertisement