Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir Smart WiFi hub with Vodafone Gigabox

Options
  • 08-01-2024 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I recently switched from Eir fibre broadband to Vodafone fibre broadband. While with Eir, I had purchased and was using two of the eir Smart WiFi hubs. Now that I've switched to Vodafone, I'm trying to set up the WiFi mesh again. I can connect them to the Vodafone gigabox using WPS, but they seem to be acting as standard extenders with their own Access Point Name, rather than as a mesh. Any idea if the gigabox is mesh compatible? And if so, how should I go about using the eir WiFi hubs with it properly?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Unfortunately Mesh is not a standard - each company that does it will have it's own 'version' of it. You typically can only use Mesh with products from the same company. You can probably (?) use the Eir fibre broadband instead of the Vodafone box if you can get all the settings right. Maybe someone here can advise if it's possible and how to do it precisely.

But I think you won't get the Eir mesh to work with the vodafone bb box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ChaosResolution

I didn't realise that. It actually says on the product page "Compatible with all broadband providers".

I do still have the previous Eir modem, so I suppose I could look into getting that going again.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 etype868

I just bought two of the eir Smart Wifi hubs (to use with eir F3000 router) so was reading the instructions today.

It seems to use with another providers router (not the eir F3000) and where the device has been used before within an eir setup you need to do the following:

"If the Smart Wifi has been used in companion mode with F3000 a factory reset is required. To factory reset press the factory reset button on the rear of the device for 3 seconds....'.

Next ... Please note it is recommended to disable the WiFi on your modem....so thats your Vodafone router.

Then.. Wireless: if your modem is not mesh compatible select the SSID on the back of the primary Smart WiFi hub and enter the password....

or

Wired: Connect the Ethernet cable into one of the two Ethernet ports on the Smart Wifi Hub and on your modem/router device

Hope that helps....basically if not using with the eir F3000 modem/router you turn off wifi on your main router and the SSID of your network will now be the SSID of the first Smart Hub device you setup - with no way to change it....finally I would'nt imagine the F3000 would work with Vodafone as you don't really have full control over the settings and they would be hard-coded to work with eir internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

Yes there is a way to use eir Mesh extenders to work with other providers.

One of the hubs will need to be connected with Ethernet cable to Vodafone router. Then pair two hubs together.

This way you downgraded from two extenders to one but it's the only way.

Advertisement