Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I disclose my depression to my manager or will it come back to bite me?

Options
  • 08-01-2024 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm only 5 months into my first post college job. Not the most stable position to be in. Things were great, until about 3 months ago when my depression came back. Within about a month, my work started to become impacted.

I sleep less, I'm always tired but can't relax and I get brain fog. I visibly move and work slower. I'm forgetful, I struggle to make small decisions, my brain just feels foggy. This is most obvious in work but its impacting all areas of my life. My manager had a word with me a few days before Christmas to ask why I'm performing so poorly suddenly. I'm starting my second week back since and I'm trying very very hard but I'm still crap as my brain isn't functioning as it would. My manager already knows I was at the doctors last week. I feel like this would provide an explanation as opposed to her thinking i just dont care anymore. Im just physically unable to perform as well when I'm like this. it's driving me mad that I can't work like I used to. I could make it clear I'm on a treatment plan (went back on meds last week). I know it only took me a month or so to start feeling better the last time I got depressed and took meds. Or will this come back to bite me?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

We don't know you, your situation, your manager or their disposition... so it is going to be guess work.

I don't think you have anything to loose by letting your manager know the situation. Your manager has already noticed that you are not longer up to par and is concerned about your performance, they may well decide that as you say you're no longer interested and let you go. And while I suppose it is possible it could comeback on you later in a negative way, it is also just as likely that they will cut you some slack and give you time to recover and get back in the grove if your claim is supported by medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Personally I wouldn't tell any boss details on anything medical that early into a job, its not worth the risk and its none of their business.

Do you have a six month probation period? any chance you can put down previous performance issues to an illness and try to push through the last month of probation?

Not easy I know, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scattered99

I feel like I'm probably more likely to lose the job over poor performance than be penalised for a medical condition I can easily prove.

Thank you!

It's a 6 month probation that can be extended to 9 months....whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It’s a massive change for you. A brand new routine. This is possibly effecting your mental health.

Personally I would not tell them. Wait till the meds kick in. See how you feel after 6 weeks.

If you were there years I might say tell them. But you are still in probation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Don't tell them. There is absolutely no upside for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Only you can answer the question tbh OP. I've worked in jobs and for managers where I'd have mo issue saying it to them and worked for other managers where I would never say it to them. You've been there for five months, at this stage you should have a decent enough grasp on what your manager is like and how they'd likely respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

When you got the position was there a form asking you to disclose any medical issues at the time of signing your contract. If so would omitting this condition have any negative side if you told them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

I totally get what everyone is saying but isn’t it mad that after all this talk of mental health this is still the case.

question OP, did you do a medical for this job? Were you asked questions or fill out a questionnaire and answered questions about mental health?

if you didn’t disclose a pre existing condition might be a problem

No, surprisingly I was never asked to disclose anything.

To be honest, I didn't even know my depression would fall under an illness as I assumed I was cured...but I was wrong. Thankfully it hasn't gotten as bad as last time. I was barely eating or sleeping last time when I finally got help

And you're correct with "all this talk". The company is doing a big mental health month thing and here I am debating disclosing a very visible recurring mental illness

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's absolutely awful but it's the way of the working world unfortunately. It wouldn't stop at mental health too, an employer employing someone new will probably be trying to avoid someone who has any medical conditions that are flagged early on. It's why I'd avoid mentioning anything medical related at all costs during a probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

If you disclose that you have a medical condition, it would be actually much more difficult for your employer to terminate your employment. They would bd obliged to provide “reasonable accommodation “ to help you allow to perform effectively.

You would be covered by Employment Equality legislation which prohibits discriminatory treatment. The probation period would be largely irrelevant.

I suspect the fear of what might happen you in work is contributing to your condition, leaving you in a catch 22 situation. My advice would be to front up with your manager and deal with whatever consequences arise. It’s a huge burden carry otherwise.

Master of the Universe

You can be let go during a probationary period without a reason given. They could let someone go because they don't want to deal with a medical condition but just say it's not working out due to performance etc. Not difficult to do at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you were completed probation it would be a different story imo.

You could wait until the next review meeting or what have you and at that point guage how the conversation is going, then if you need to you can bring it up as justification for the slump in performance.

Do your company have an assistance programme or anything? You could.avail of that which normally will flag to the company that someone has used it without identifying anyone.

That's kinda what I'm asking. I don't want to just volunteer this information but rather, I want to know if I should bring it up if I'm pushed into a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would tell them that you have a medical condition that you know has affected your performance lately and that your doctor adjusted your medication last week to address this.

They do not need to know your diagnosis. Or that you were totally off the medication.

It’s an awful damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. Depression is really a neurological type condition, and can recur if meds stopped. I’d certainly ask for a very good medical work-up from your doctor or any medical screening service, as just sometimes depression can be secondary to another treatable condition. Eg I get severe depression with my MS, but there are many things like thyroid, vitamin deficiencies etc can be associated too, as well as primary depression.

There is a huge dichotomy in the lip service sometimes paid by employers re “mental health” (as if it were one thing!) and the actual consequences of disclosing any such condition or indeed a majorly physical condition. Obviously if you work at driving a bus you MUST disclose a heart condition, but for most roles, unless where colleagues may have to render first aid, it is not relevant to disclose.

Whilst the argument goes “they can’t sack you for disclosing a disability…” sometimes an employer might try the “health & safety” card, and say that the work environment by its nature, in spite of any attempts at accommodation, would pose an unacceptable “health & safety risk”.

One comfort for you may be to realise that none of us are superhuman, including the bosses making decisions about staff at companies. All made of flesh and blood and get chronic complaints, physical and mental. There’s almost nobody who doesn’t get some kind of very inconvenient condition sooner or later. So goodness knows, your boss might be harbouring issues themselves for all we know.

My heart goes out to you, best of luck dealing with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The probation period is not actually relevant, they can still let you go for any non-protected reason in the first year even if you have completed the so-called probation period.

I say that because any plan of saying nothing until some 6 month probation period has passed would rather be a waste of time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is my feeling as well. And I doubt very much trying to play the game and pretending everything is OK is doing anything to help you recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

You can be let go within 12 months, regardless of the duration of any stated probationary period.

The employment equality legislation provides additional protection to certain classes of employees which effectively “trumps” the limitations of standard employee protections. The 12 month period in which employers have the freedom to terminate employees doesn’t apply in the case of a disability.

However, if the employer isn’t aware of the disability, they can’t be held accountable for failing to provide reasonable accommodation.

Post edited by Ted222 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Getting sacked isn't going to help your depress is it?

Tell them that you are struggling and that you are trying to make it right. They will help you and if they don't they are not worth working for. Jobs come and go and unless you have some dream role already its not worth your mental health getting worse. So tell them. Get their assistance. I'm a senior with a Gov job and if someone new came to me with that issue I'd help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Deeec

Op that's a tough position to be in. I don't think you should mention depression to your manager but do tell them that you have been unwell and you are on medication and leave it at that. Don't go into any further detail.

Unfortunately most employers are not sympathetic to mental health issues. They will make the right noises and be concerned but secretly will want you gone out of the business asap. Truthfully most would accommodate any illness other than mental health issues.

Be good to yourself and I hope your health improves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ULEZ23

More details of the job environment and employer are needed I think.

Working for a multinational where there is no room for underperforming workers and it’s the managers responsibility to deliver is very different to a more caring environment like the civil service.

Cold and unempathic reply but you need to consider it from the side of your manager.

what impact is the drop off of your productivity causing your manager and team, are they forced with taking extra work on and having to work extra unpaid hours? Has your teams output reduced which would negatively reflect on your manager? Unfortunately todays multinational environment can be brutal for managers in terms of expectations and workload so there is limited room for compassion driven decisions, they are over worked so if they have the choice of terminating a contract they will take it, that’s part of being a manager where looking after your team is one aspect but at the end of the day your loyalty is to the company over a recently hired graduate.

maybe the work environment is contributing to your depression and it may be best for a change? Take the positives being that you now have some experience from this role. Just be wary that you will need a reference out of this so do your best and see out the 6 months. Sounds like your manager was happy with your performance at the start so if you finish strong you may get a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ULEZ23

Holy smoke, I think this is the first time I’ve ever agreed with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Hi OP, you are now on a treatment plan and your health will now improve. It is actually not your Employer's business what your illness is. I would have a word with your Manager (email him/her if you prefer). State that you are now receiving treatment for your medical condition, which has been affecting your performance lately.

Advertisement