Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth Rod - where the hell is it?

Options
  • 08-01-2024 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Help, trying to get an EV charger installed, they need a picture of the earth rod, I’ve been over every inch of the outside and there is no earth rod. .I’m told I must have one as house is only 6 years old….any ideas??? Photo attached of the metre box and area beneath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭meercat

It’d be impossible to tell from the internet.

check Your neighbours house to see where theirs is to give an indication

there should be a square green lid cover

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Luna84

I've seen them buried before. As was said above a green box with a green lid. If done right all that you should see is a green lid either in the concrete path or the grass. But as I said I have seen them be buried. Not common but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

No green box anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

My house is older and it is underneath a metal hinged lid. Are there any small covers on the path near the meter panel.

His house isn't old I can tell by the pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

For reference, if you're not quite sure what you're looking for, this is the kind of green cover you are looking for. Can't help after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Rake away some of that gravel by the concrete path, it might be there.

On second thoughts that could be tarmac.

Your earth rod is wired directly of your consumer unit (fuse board) and not your meter cabinet

it’s most likely at your front door area if your distribution board is in the hall

post a picture of the front of your house

have you checked your neighbours houses to give you an indication

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Feel like such a tube….moved a bin and found this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That looks like the stop cock or the water mains though😃😃

• Advertisement

I don't know anybody who puts earth rods under one of those. As was said above that is most likely for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m have the same issue myself, it’s buried somewhere what does the wire look like ? Would I see it feeding from the CU ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

If you live a in a bungalow it should be easy go to fuse board in the attic and look for a round green and yellow wire. There should be two one going to hot press and one going outside. While in the attic look to where it goes outside and that is where your earth rod is.

It’s unlikely that you’d find it by tracing the wire. Sometimes the simplest solution is to install a new one

Thanks for that. I’ve green and yellow wire screwed onto the gas line below my gas meter. My drive was paved and it’s where I remember it from years ago. So I guess I should get digging🤣

Yes. I’ll have look and I’ll remove a few stones if no luck I’ll get another installed.

I eventually found the earth rod under the paving stones. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Advertisement