Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a tank?

Options
  • 08-01-2024 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be renovating, basically rebuilding, a small mid terraced house and I'm wondering - do I even need any water tank?

I'm likely going to be going for GFCH and getting an electric shower, no bath. If I got something like a Quooker tap for the kitchen and bathroom would I even need a copper cylinder? Do I need a tank in the attic? I'm pretty sure a house I rented previously had it bypassed after a bad leak.

Thanks in advance, I'm learning from scratch here and with a tiny house and 2 kids I need to maximise space as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The hot water cylinder could potentially be omitted in favour of some kind of instantaneous water heater. This would normally be oil or gas powered to be able to heat water fast on demand. Something like a Rinnai water heater.

What is going to do your space heating? Heat pump? Heat pumps would typically use a cylinder as they are relatively slow to heat water.

The cold water attic storage tank is required by building regulations and also a practical benefit in the event of an outage, so I wouldn’t be doing away with that. It could conceivably be located in an out building or at ground floor level if that helped with the building design.

Advertisement