Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TPMS not working

Options
  • 08-01-2024 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

So, mine has stopped working a few days ago, warning on dash. Car is a 2014 year.

Have NCT on Thursday but it's a fail only on cars registered after 1 Jan 2015 according to the NCT manual available online.

I'm assuming thats correct? Will find out soon enough anyhow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's correct, a fail, it was mandatory to be fitted on all cars since November 2014.

Have you checked the tyre pressure in all 4 tyres? I know with cold weather a lot of tyre warning lights go off due to the air volume changing with the temperature and this can be resolved by adding correct pressure of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Tyres pressure are all equal as as stated in the car manual. I'm assuming it's the frost causing it. Maybe the batteries are weak and made worse by the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check pressures. And then drive it a bit then engine on and off. See if it resets. Often then they need some miles and a power cycle to reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

What car and spec is it? The issue will depend on if it has direct or indirect TPMS. Free visual retest at least so not a showstopper but I think you'll be ok as a 2014, Advisory Pass according to the manual.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Looks like it's a direct TPMS sensor in each wheel then. I assume you've tried a TPMS reset without luck?

At that age I'd suspect the wheel sensor batteries have gone, the recent cold weather probably finished them off. You can get it scanned to be 100% sure.

Unfortunately if it is the batteries it's a pain to sort, wheel and tyre off, replace sensor, tyre and wheel on, new sensor coded to car. They annoyingly make the sensors so that the batteries can't be replaced so you have to get new ones which massively increases the cost.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Warning is gone now. Weather milder probably helped.

Advertisement