Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows... Fecking crows!

Options
  • 08-01-2024 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

The local crow population have decided that my garden is the perfect feeding ground this winter. I actually love crows and don't necessarily mind feeding them, however I'm aware that they can be a problem especially when they tell all their friends and come in numbers. My next door neighbour doesn't like them at all so I don't want to annoy them either.

I've stopped feeding at all a couple times this winter but I've put food out each time we've had hard frosts and they come back in minutes. I bought a feeder that was supposed to be for small birds only, but the crows managed to lift it off the hanger and drop it to the ground breaking it.

I'm thinking of making a cage that small birds will be able to go in and out of, however we have blackbirds, thrush and starlings that I'd like to feed also.

Any suggestions on what I could do to feed the smaller birds without creating a crow problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Have you tried just telling them to move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There are plenty of squirrel proof feeders which also keep larger birds off

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭scarepanda

If only they would listen!

I got one and they pulled it off the hanging basket hook and dropped it on the ground and broke it :/

But I threw some seed out onto the top of an ibc tank earlier on and no crows appeared but lots of garden birds. So we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

You can tie the feeder onto the hook to prevent it being knocked off.

I have used chicken wire and garden mesh of various sizes to make feeder enclosures for small birds. If the squirrel proof mesh is too big, wrapping a smaller mesh around it works well. I've had to do this to stop starlings from hoovering up everything within an hour of putting it out !

You can buy ground feeder cages that work very well for Blackbirds etc. Just make sure that the cage is wide enough to stop large birds from reaching in. You may also want to peg/weigh it down as it won't take crows long to figure out how to flip it out of the way :)

Advertisement