Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior painting (window sills, door surrounds) possible in January?

Options
  • 08-01-2024 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin property, near coast.

My property is fairly protected from wind debris etc, so was wondering if it's possible to paint exterior window sills with white paint this week, or better waiting till weather gets warmer?

Seems like a good week weatherwise, just unfortunately cold at night. As property is near coast the weather doesn't drop quite as low as inland though.

Can oil paints be used in this sort of weather ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It gets incredibly damp at night these days, and there's very little drying even during the day (have you tried hanging clothes out to dry?) so I can't imagine that paint would dry properly. I've had decorators in the past refuse to take on outdoor painting after a certain point in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not ideal time of year but Use paint driers to speed up the drying process

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just that I see the weather today and think it would be perfect, but yeah I get the dampness at night alright.

I'll chat to a painter and see.

Typically is it March onwards that is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's very little drying even during the day when it's this cold. Hang a sheet out after washing and see how long it takes to dry!

so March? April?

As in, what nightly temperature would be minimum? Around 7C+ ?

Post edited by mrcheez on

• Advertisement

Weather looks better these days for painting the exterior, any recommendations for a painter in north Dublin?

Advertisement