Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate My Job - What to do

Options
  • 08-01-2024 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am working in an officed based profession with 10 years but I hate it, it's causing me alot of stress as I'm not happy. I want to leave but I can't make the step. The money is good but I am an outdoors person and like being on the go. Advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well what are your specific hates about the job or the profession and what is the alternative path you want to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Just that it's desk based on computer and repetitive. Something more practical hands on.

Well without a much better breakdown, there is little advice or insight that can be  offered ... There might be possibilities to make your current job more interesting, maybe a chance to move sideways to find something more interesting, change employer or depending on your skill set and experience make the jump to a role the offers a better chance of being hands on.... but without something to go on it is hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just start applying for new jobs. Its relatively stress free to find a job when you already have a job.

I currently work as a quality compliance technician and I find it extremely boring! Interests are building things, physical work and working with animals. My issue is I am on very good money which is preventing me from leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

If you are earning good money I would recommend you stay in your position and use your current salary to support yourself while doing night/evening courses in something you are interested in. Look up springboard for starters and see if anything interests you. You could buy a mini-lathe or take up welding or woodworking as a hobby to gauge your interest in the subject and then take some advanced CAD or engineering design courses at one of the part-time/online universities like OU, ATU, or DKIT to name but a few. This is not an immediate solution to your problem I know but you will be much better off rather than starting from scratch somewhere else.

Quitting to find a new job without laying the ground work could set you back a few years and leave you climbing the corporate ladder again if it doesn't work out. You are in currently in an enviable position and should take advantage of that. Plenty of people working long hours in retail or physical labour jobs are doing the same thing but at a much greater disadvantage.

That said I knew a guy who quit his engineering job in IBM to go work in a climbing gym and has never been happier despite earning at least half of his previous salary. So maybe just ignore everything I say, quit your job and go be an adventure blogger.

Hmm... you have my sympathy! I spent over three decades in banking and ya compliance is about as interesting as watching paint dry! Unfortunately there is not any easy career paths out of there without investing a significant amount of time, effort and possibly even money to go further down the road. So probably not the direction for you. It is well paying for a reason.

I guess there are basically two options either get out, make a clean break and start again or continue where you are and try to build up the skills, knowledge and education needed to make the jump later.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Kurooi

Personally I've eased on a desk profession by pursuing positions which required some away from desk time, stakeholders, clients just a bit of collaboration and socializing to slot into the week. I wonder if you could alternatively find a way for your quality compliance background to slowly shift into some more real business. Building companies, manufacturing, sciences. Companies that exist more out in the real world and less on a speadsheet are bound to keep you moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

I too felt like that for a long time in my career and on very good money. I have come to terms with it now and have landed at a great company with no boss in Europe and am largely left alone to run my group however I want. I more or less set my own hours and if I have a load of late meetings one day I take time back the next day. My focus is on my family and persuits outside of work and I am grateful that I am in this position after decades of enduring micro managing bosses and 60 hr weeks. I am still not getting fulfillment in my career and I should have been a teacher I think. I guess my point is find out a way to make work not take over your life and come to peace with your career if money is keeping you there. You are in a good position and at least financial worries are not a concern for you. Life is hard when money is short. I am 50 though, eyeing up retirement in 8 yrs. If you are 30 your perspective might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Enowe

I was in a similar spot. Consider exploring outdoor-based careers or part-time gigs. It might take time, but finding a job that aligns with your passion is worth the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alexago

Do you have a possibility to take a break? I was in the same boat and a 2-week trip helped me not only feel better but also understand that I was ready for changes. I quit the job I didn't like and started working remotely (usually I'm suspicious about unknown companies, but I'm glad that I decided to address etape neuf customer service for details). Now I can organize my day the way I want, travel more, spend more time with family and friends, etc. I feel free and I'm happy. I mean, money is one of the most important factors when it comes to a job, but do you really want to live the next years doing work you hate?

Post edited by alexago on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Facilities Management?

I could as I am young and have no ties or money worries. Not worth the good money imo if you don't like the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

I worked on the IT side of fund accounting for the guts of 20 years. I am still in IT but not in investment banking anymore.

Advertisement