Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shower type question

Options
  • 07-01-2024 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking to get a new shower. I've done a bit of reaserach but still not quite sure...

I've always had an electric shower but I'm fed up with the flow electric showers offer. I basically want the typical shower you get in a hotel. After a bit of research, it seems that the one I should be looking at is a mixer shower. I believe this offers an optimum flow and hot water on demand provided the heating supply is correct

Furthermore, I always have the immersion heating on, and my uneducated guess is that this can be used to supply the shower. So here's the questions...

Is the mixer shower the correct type I require? If I'm looking for a better flow?

Is it a common feature that immersion heaters can provide the hot water for a mixer shower?

Any disadvantages on the above?

Open to any advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's probably a power shower you want - water heated with central heating and then pumped to the shower to give excellent pressure.

What heating system do you have in the house?

Why do you always have the immersion on? This is the most expensive way to heat water.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

Hi thanks for reply

I have storage heating. So no central heating unfortunately. As regards the immersion, I have the "sink" option on as opposed to "bath". Must be an old type immersion perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

If you have a vented HW cylinder supplied from a cistern in the attic then this shower which has its own internal pump may be a good choice as it pumps up to 14LPM, you don't have to run at this flow rate, if you run it say 7 LPM (heaven compared with your existing shower) then even the sink immersion will give you a approximate 10 minute shower before the HW runs out and up to 25 minutes with a fuly heated cylinder.

https://www.tritonshowers.ie/novel-sr-thermostatic-power-shower

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mixer shower is fine but it will need a dedicated pump or an internal pump like John has linked. You won't be happy with the flow rate without a pump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have storage heaters, I assume you have a day/night electricity meter?

In that case, you shouldn't be running your immersion continuously. Instead get a timer switch for it and set it to heat fully during the night hours, when electricity costs about 1/5th it does at daytime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement