Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old school climate control - kinda broke

Options
  • 07-01-2024 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

Father in law has a seat arona. It has old school climate control as in below picture.

the middle dial turns it on……..but it does not turn on when switched to 1, 2 or 3, it only comes on at level 4

any idea if this is a simple or easy fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Friend had a similar issue on an Ibiza, it was a blower resistor that needed to be replaced, it's behind the glovebox, part seems to be about €20.

Found this about it on the Arona

Here's how it's done on an Ibiza...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Nice one. Thank you !

not too sure if it’s a DIY.

I never know who to ask to potentially fix these kind of problems , my normal mechanic mainly just does the engine work etc.

this is more so an electrical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭User1998

Definitely the resistor. Its a basic 5 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

You can complete this repair yourself with only basic tools no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

These are all much of a muchness.

Mine went on a newish Ibiza, the cost was eighty euro from a dealer and the thing wasn't available from independents for less than £47-00 Ebay]

Seat gave me one FOC when I queried the pricing structure but before that I looked at the unit and repaired the original. It was a 220 C thermal fuse gone open. The same type as are used in most home fan heaters.

I went off a Youtube clip to remove and refit. After removing the glove box and a few other odd bits, I found that the unit was accessible easily from the passenger footwell, it's ten minutes to remove and refit.

I don't know why the price spread for a resistor and fuse with a slightly different mounting fixture being the only obvious difference. Apparently for high end models the same electrical unit can go well over a hundred euro.

As to why the fuse opened, I'm not sure. There was no sign of overheating and I have kept the repaired unit in use, I have not fitted the replacement.

I have an NCT in a few hours, but after that I will drop a temperature sensor into the area the module sits in. I don't for one minute think that the unit is overheating, but it went for a reason and 200C is not a level of temperature that I would like to think is possible around the footwell. The fuse that went is normally a reliable protection device and I have never had one fail without reason. The one thing of note though is that in my car model the resistor is physically just a shade smaller than most, but the area decrease should not lead to a significant temperature difference.

• Advertisement

So you did the job yourself. Where did you get the part?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

megane 2 here, same problem, resistor is your man here, personally doable, headache though, well behind the dash....

available at usual car parts stores, got mine in euro car parts, about 30 euros....

thank you. I can give this a go but could make a mess of it, let’s say I accidentally disconnect another cable.

It seems to be an awkward job so I could easily do it wrong, I have never done this type of job before so just a bit nervous that I could make things worse

first and only time ive done it, it was awkward but i got the job done, works perfectly now, cant say the same about other parts of the car though! just take your time, question every move before doing it, you should be fine, being octi-jointed might help to!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

This more should not be possible as there will more than likely be a plug on connector that will only push on one way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The thermal fuse for the repair was something I had myself. I bought a stock of them from Ebay or Amazon, they would have been £1-00 for five I expect.

I bought some cheap Chinese heaters that the fans used to get sluggish on and blow the same type of thermal fuse.

The replacement module was from Seat, supplied through Aherns at Castleisland.

I didn't expect that the part would be available at anything but the full price, hence the reason to remove and repair the original.

Seat were pretty decent in the end and gave me the replacement which is still in the door pocket.

The car had its first NCT today and isn't old, additionally the cost of the discrete parts shouldn't make a big hole in a five euro note. I pointed this out to Seat, but must admit I didn't expect a replacement to be provided free.

I intend to fit the replacement, but want to monitor the temperature of the original first.

see below image, would I only be replacing the thing circled in blue?

or the whole lot

when I order is it just the bit circled in blue that I order?

as far as i can see, the whole unit comes out, as in both the green resistor is attached to the black plastic bit, and the whole lot comes out, as directed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Probably one of the most universal auto electrical faults out there, doesn't matter what make or age of car, it'll 99% of the time be the resistor with those symptoms. I used to be able to sometimes fix them, especially older ones, but it depends what's gone in them, which you normally find out by removing and checking with a multi-meter. If you can find it cheap enough, probably easier just to replace.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

lets say I cant do it, who is best to engage? a standard mechanic would probably not do work like this

ah they should yea, but try give it a go, its really not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, they should be able for it, literally sometimes it's just like changing a light bulb depending on access.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭mikeecho

i had an Mk3 golf years ago, same issue, fan would only blow on max.

Popped off the glove box, unplugged the thermal resister, plugged in a new (second hand) one, and away she blew, She blew soft, and she blew hard. It made me happy.

• Advertisement

contacted 2 motor factors and they didn't have the part.

found this on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twilight-Garage-Resistor-6Q0959263-6Q0959263A/dp/B07GJHXQHJ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=2020+seat+arona+fan+resistor&qid=1704879475&quartzVehicle=104-11638&replacementKeywords=2020+fan+resistor&s=automotive&sr=1-6

do ye reckon this would work? It does not mention its compatible with Arona but looks similar to the part 😬😬

• Compatible with SEAT

Seat Cordoba 6L2 2002 - 2009 Diesel: 1.4 TDI, 1.9 SDi, 1.9 TDI AMF, ASY, ASZ, ATD, AXR, BLT

Seat Cordoba 6L2 2002 - 2009 Petrol: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 2.0 AUB, AZL, AZQ, BAH, BBX

Seat Ibiza MK IV 2002 - 2009 Diesel: 1.4 TDI, 1.9 SDi, 1.9 TDI AMF, ASY, ASZ, ATD, AXR, BLT, BMS, BMT, BNM, BNV, BPX, BUK

Seat Ibiza MK IV 2002 - 2009 Petrol: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 AUB, AZL, AZQ, BAH, BBM, BBU, BBX

Seat Ibiza MK V 2008-ON Diesel: 1.2 TDI, 1.4 TDI, 1.6 TDI, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 TDI BLS, BMS, BXJ, CAYB, CAYC, CFHD

Seat Ibiza MK V 2008-ON Petrol: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 2.0 BTS, BXW, BZG, CAVE, CAVF, CBZB, CEKA

Jaysus. Rang main dealer there out of interest.

part is 106 Euro !!

and then labour, he reckons ball park about 200 Euro to get it sorted.

I am after giving this a blast myself for the last 40 mins, got nowhere, the glove box in the arona is unfortunately not like the one in the video above, I dropped the glove box down by pinching (really really hard) on either side and more a less just plastic behind it, so no easy access either.

here is a video of what it looks like, any ideas? seems to be no easy access

EDIT: this is a better video of what things look like in the glovebox from someone else on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fwYlwcmDKME

globe box dropped image

Post edited by obi604 on

Any thoughts on this one? 😬 😬

Advertisement