Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky hard disk drive issues

Options
  • 07-01-2024 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Got a message yesterday,

There is a problem with your hard disk drive.

Recordings, on demand and other services are not available.

Tried the reset, no luck, left it unplugged overnight,

it tells me that a full system reset is my next option, but I will lose all my recordings which i am slow to do as

there are recordings of my daughter when she was on Nationwide many years ago.

Is there anyway round this or is the full system reset my only option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is this a Sky Q box? And yes a reset deletes everything but that error could mean curtains anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mywifetoldme

No Sky +

I am trying a updating system software at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

Its more than likely the HDD is gone but can you check you have signal on both inputs. And if box is left plugged in it should update auatomatically.

Your last chance if update fails is to do a planner rebuild but check signal. Even a system reset may not be any good. Sky will now offer you SkyQ so you can buy a secondhand box on ebay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If there is any life left in the drive the best recovery option is to clone the drive onto another one.

This requires taking the box apart and removing the drive, they are a bit of a pain to remove compared to most set top boxes.

If it works you can just put the new drive back in the same sky+ and it will work.

If it is the box that is faulty you can use the original or cloned drive in a replacement sky+, as long as you use the same viewing card (which can be paired to a new box) all the encrypted recordings will still be watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,874 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Suspiciously I got the same message today

I wonder was there an update rolled or something that maybe be impacting the boxes

Do Sky even sell these boxes anymore?

• Advertisement
Advertisement