Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying from UK, newbie to classics, advice needed

Options
  • 07-01-2024 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭

Hello,

After much research, my husband and I are looking at a 30 year old pajero in the UK and we are new to both buying from the UK and buying a classic/vintage so looking for some up to date advice.

1. Are we better off travelling over and driving it back or getting it delivered. If the latter, any recommendations on good contacts/companies and how much would it be?

2. Car looks in great nick but obviously we want an independent mechanic to look at it before buying, any recommendations in the UK on companies who could do this?

3. Car is on eBay, what's the safest way to pay (obviously not paying anything upfront)

4. Think I've gotten the jist of the VRT and import duties costs from this forum. Amy other hidden costs to know about?

We are very excited but don't want to miss anything that ends up in a costly mistake, appreciate any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I bought a Golf Mk1 GTI cabriolet off ebay about 15 yrs ago in Scotland. Seller was very contactable and we agreed we would meet for pick up and no money exchanged till I was happy with car. Paid cash and drove it home to Wicklow.

If the mechanic is happy that it would make the trip then I'd drive it home.. just be prepared. Bring a jumpstarter/leads. Puncture repair kit. Coolant/ water just for unseen circumstances

It's a fun road trip. Me Nd my brother in law went over in my golf and drove the 2 golf's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Congrats on the purchase!

Driving back vs transport is a personal choice really. How far are you willing to drive and take time off for it? You’re responsible if something goes wrong, getting towed/repaired etc.

I’ve always driven cars back, old and modern and it is a relief when you get on the ferry as at least you can push it off in Dublin and get a mate to tow you home in the worst scenario.

That being said, I love the trips over, and drive back.

2019 was the last time I did it so can’t advise on vat/duty. It seems hard to find a straight answer on that. VRT is still €200 anyway.

@User1998 mentioned in a thread recently that if you get it transported then you need a customs clearance form to get out of the port whereas if you drive it off the ferry, you don’t. Just sort it out later.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks for both your comments. Yeah we have been looking into costs and all that and it's working out much cheaper for my husband to fly over and ferry back with the new car :) Good advice with the car kit too, hopefully we'll have it in a few days time!

Edit: Only thing we have left to sort out is the insurance. Will be doing some ringing around tomorrow based on the recommendations on this forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Kit is a good idea. Grab some coolant and oil in garage over there. Download the maps that you need on Google maps so that you can use them offline if coverage goes.

That’s about it really apart from enjoying the journey. Give us a pic of it when you’re back if you’re happy to share it on the forum!

Cui bono?

Advertisement