Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job issue

Options
  • 06-01-2024 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All

New to this forum but been reading it a while.

Thoughts or advice on this much appreciated

I have been offered a job running a small depot as the sole employee/Salesperson

I'm due to start on Monday and have completed training at 2 other showrooms. The problem is there are no toilet facilities or running water on site and have been told there is a garage accross the road I can use. The problem is the people in the garage used to run it on a part time basis by popping over if someone needed them but fell out with the owners of the depot as it got too busy for them. I will be the first full time emlployee and the money is good but I'm concerned that the lack of facilities is not entirely legal.

BTW it is a big enough company with 15 depots around the country

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Deeec

Honestly if they don't have even basic facilities like a toilet and water I wouldn't even bother starting the job. If they are a big enough company as you say they should be able to afford basics and show respect for their staff - it's a big red flag and I would run now to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty sure toilets, and handwashing facilities (hot water) are a minimum requirement.

I wouldn't have taken a job without them. You're starting on Monday, you're leaving it a bit late...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Toilet and water facilities are a basic right in a workplace. That’s total disrespect for staff if they don’t offer those. We were sent home from my office one morning ( before starting work)as a tank had burst and there was no water. HR said quite rightly that it was a health and safety issue and we couldn’t be on the premises while the water was gone.

i wouldn’t start a job under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, legally required, but shur thats meaningless to some employers, run op, run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Siddnot

I only found out today

• Advertisement

yea this is a tough one, are there many other employment options available to you?

Not really. Everyone I talked to during the training love their job. As the site never had a full time employee on site the facilities weren't needed due to the garage owners having their own. I do think they should have installed them before taking me on though.

as others have said, this really is a major red flag, they know exactly whats required for their employees, they simply dont give a sh1t, seriously, run! if you think this job will go smoothly, without any other issues, you ve another thing coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Red flag, big time. Just imagine what else they’re skimping on.

I mean, you might away with a quick hit and miss once out of sight, but a Barry white, no chance.

And then you’ll need soap and water to clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Close depot, go home to do your toilet business, return to work.

Repeat as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Honestly OP if a company can't even comply with basic legal requirements like toilets or running water i'd be wondering what else are they cutting corners on. Insurance? Will my tax and PRSI be adequately sorted etc. They are clearly complete cowboys run a mile I wouldn't even turn up on Monday. A polite e mail to say you feel the job is not for you or your sick, anything I'd stay well clear of the place and even report them to the HSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is the depot rented or owned by the company?

Is there running water in the building? Are there drains? How easy will it be to provide a toilet?

If its rented the landlord might be required to provide facilities. If its owned by the company i would take the approach of going to work and:

Notifying them that you will be closing the depot for the shortest amount of time possible to go to the nearest available toilet as required. Ask them to approve a notice for you to display on the door maybe when you have a call of nature.

You could then be proactive and email them quotes for providing a portable toilet and go one further and contact a nearby builder to get a quote also.

Fulfil your obligations as an employee and they will need to ensure you have the required facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Id' say it's more like that the regional manager (or whatever) just hasn't thought thru what it takes to go from a part-time contracted out depot, to a full time company-run one.

OP, two options here:

Abandon ship now. Don't even start the job, due to the "unsafe" conditions. Go and work someplace else.

Or start. Make a priority of sorting out the relationship with the garage lads, so you are welcome there for now.

Either decide you're doing to stay and figure out if the current premises can be upgraded, or if you need to move. Look for options / solutions / ways to grow the business at the same time. Also look at their overall lone-working policies overall. If you are the only person on site, you are the keyholder, out of hours contact person, fire-warden, health-and-safety contact - and goodness only knows what else. As well as being the receptionist, cleaner and security officer. OR put your effort into job hunting so you can leave ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell them they need to get one installed, ask for a budget to do it and see what they say. In the short terms get a portable toilet installed.

Advertisement