Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back garden birds

Options
  • 06-01-2024 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

I’ve been doing the birdwatch Ireland garden bird survey with the kids this year. it’s become quite addictive 😁

So far we have had the following

• Goldfinch
    • Chaffinch
    • Greenfinch
    • Linnet
    • Siskin
    • Blue tit
    • Great tit
    • Robins
    • Collared Doves
    • Jackdaws
    • House Sparrows

I’m going to post some photos we have captured

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

We have been feeding with peanuts, sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, mealworm suet pellets & a generic wild bird seed mix.

The kids made up their own feeder mix using lard & seeds last night which seems to be going down a treat.

A not so Collared Dove.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

The poor dove!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id love to know how to identify them, i really should be able to at this stage.....

We first saw him about 4 weeks ago. Seems to be doing ok besides the obvious.

i’m not sure how it will cope with the really cold nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Looking at that list it would be common enough to have coal tits aswell, so watch out for those.

You might even get lucky and spot a sparrowhawk soon, hopefully not with the prey in its tallows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Also watch out for wrens and dunnocks.

The wrens won't use the feeder but the frosty weather at moment is perfect time to spot them.

They are tiny and need plenty of food after a cold night look out your window in early morning, usually hopping low on ground or might see them hoping from branches to collect insects, the little cocked tale gives them away.

Dunnock similarly looking to sparrows but again won't use feeders but sometimes spotted near them but will usually again be on ground near bushes.

The Birdwatch Ireland site is quite good.

The ones we had trouble with were male Linnets & Redpolls, I still find it difficult but we don’t see too many of them in the garden.

My wife saw a sparrow hawk in the garden once last September but I’ve never seen one myself.

We have an apple tree in the garden so we get black birds & thrushes also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They're one that a lot of people have trouble with. Sidewise, Redpolls are small - same size as Siskin and smaller than Goldfinches. Linnets are bigger - the size of a Goldfinch or slightly bigger!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Nice to get an insight into an individual garden like this, and even better to hear the kids are enjoying it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

The Merlin Bird ID app is great for identifying the ones you're not sure on, would recommend it!

These are the ones identified as Linnets. All are take through the kitchen window so not the clearest.

I think the last three are a Redpoll

Top two are Linnet but bottom three are Redpoll!

Here are some of the Robins.

The first photo shows the two of them together.

We had a new visitor today. Our first Blackcap!!

The Redpoll & Blackcap have become repeat visitors in the recent days.

Post edited by SEORG on

• Advertisement

Ok, my wife might be thinking about signing me into a mental asylum. I was standing at the kitchen window just shouted “BULLFINCH”.

This addiction might be getting out of hand 😂

This is only the second time I’ve ever seen one in the garden. The goldfinches chased it off!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've found over the last few years having let the lawn grow freely, a male and female bullfinch will come every day to feed on the seeds from dandelions and other "weeds".

Last May, I was sitting in the garden and they landed about two metres from me in a section of an overgrown vegetable patch. They were quite happy for me to take pictures and whilst my zoom wasn't up to much, I did spend most of the 10 or so minutes just enjoying their presence...

Yes, first time there was one in the garden it was feeding on dandelion seeds.

The blackbird having some apple for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Unfortunately I’ve had to stop feeding the birds which I really used to enjoy, I don’t see the point of leaving out feeders if it only attracts vermin starlings who will empty them in seconds.

Shame.

The female posing for a snap

News has spread about the food in the Redpoll community 😂

We get a few starling but definitely less than we used to. The collared doves were a pain also. One day during Christmas I counted 10 collared doves in the garden at one time & 16 starlings on another occasion.

Now we mainly use feeders that only the smaller birds can feed from. The bigger birds find it harder to hold on when trying to grab the food & we put less food on the ground. We still get some but I don’t mind that.

The neighbours cat is starting to take an interest now so we need to be careful with putting the trays too close to where it can get cover before pouncing.

A linnet having breakfast in the sunshine.

• Advertisement

One of the redpolls has made itself at home in the coconut feeder.

Advertisement