Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS tracker for a dog

Options
  • 06-01-2024 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for the above? New year old sheep dog is bit fond of going sniffing and this would make like easier to find him until he Learns his boundaries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Kennel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You can use an apple airtag which works off Bluetooth, needs to be in range of apple phones though, not suitable if he’s wandering down the fields but works great if he’s wandering the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Fast moving lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When I naively asked a similar question of a fellow worker, he said put a bit of lead in his ear, I asked how would you do that, he said with a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I have one on my sheepdog. It's from Pawfit.

It was 50 upfront and 50 annual subscription.

• Advertisement

If she Leaves the area marked we get an alert. We can tell her to come back via the voice. Can also track her with it. She had a hard day a few weeks ago bringing wild ewes out of a wood but I was able to see her and go to where she'd found them by using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That a useful bit of kit. How often do you have to charge the part that the dog wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

deadly, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Does he listen if you call her back via the speaker?

Yeah she was inclined to wandering but it's completely stopped it. Well worth the money. Do you want the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

A friend has one of those. Showed the cat locked in a neighbour's garage. Great job. Use the shock collar here to keep the dogs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Also look at Tractive - available from their website or from Amazon (sometimes with decent discount on the tracker) - I use for cat and have to charge every 2-3 days but they have dogs versions with larger battery that will last much longer (they say up to 3 weeks) - they have a mode whereby if it detects your wifi it goes to sleep - thus saving battery.

Monthly subscription is €12.99 or €84 per year.

https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-dog-xl?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOmsBhCnARIsAGPa5yb9_A08ZtIB5FeWsoO9IGvUHnunGAyZqIjtlcwWbALWXijFLhtdPLkaApyJEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Use the Tractive myself great job battery lasts ages you can set it up so when it is in WiFi range of the house it goes into a battery saving mode makes a big difference

Link for pawfit tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

Can you set a virtual boundary with any of those devices?

And it vibrates or warns them as they approach so encourages them to stay in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You can set a virtual boundary with Tractive (Kevinhogg1988 confirmed above that Pawfit does too) and it will notify you when the animal leaves but doesn't notify the animal and not sure how much attention they'd pay to it anyhow. I find the virtual boundary is not great as GPS reliant and it is not totally precise where I am. All trackers will also require a decent line of sight to the GPS satellites so in woodland or hedgerow etc the signal can be lost.

These trackers are very good and way superior than a Tile or other similar Bluetooth tracker but they do have some limitations.

I would say there is little between them in operation and APP etc - look at time between charges (the Tractive WIFI zone power save is a great benefit) but also the monthly/annual subscription package costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

so perhaps a wire running around a boundary that operates a collar and gradually introduce/train the dog where the boundary is would be a better idea for a dog you want to stay in a defined area without having to put up a fence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Those collars are great. They figure out the boundary in no time.

One dog here would break it to go after another dog on road but that was it.

Just said I’d leave an update. I bought the Tractive gps collar in the end. Went with this one over the other one for no particular reason at all.

I have it two weeks now and it is one of the best things I ever bought. It gives great peace of mind. You can set safe zones and no go zones by moving pins around on a map and as soon as the dog goes to the no go zone an alert pops up on my phone.

my dog also goes to a neighbouring piece of rough scrub ground and it’s a relief to know he’s there having a sniff around rather than roaming off in farmers fields.

I also think that the dog has become more settled and is more content with staying around as he isn’t restricted as much so in a weird kind of way when he isn’t restricted as much he doesn’t want to ramble as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Does anyone have experience /opinion of the pitpat tracker.

The USP is once off cost as they use IOT networks and have in-built sim. It seems less full featured that pawfit/tractive but there is only a once off cost of €139.

They say Ireland is covered:

"Your PitPat device will track your dog and report their location to us when they are in any country where there is IoT coverage and where we have roaming agreements in place to allow you to use your PitPat device (at no charge to you). As of January 2023, this includes:

Ireland

"

Lots of unknowns though - what IOT network and what is IOT coverage like outside urban areas ?

Advertisement