Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amstrad GX4000 - Reproduction Carts

Options
  • 05-01-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Following on from my previous Amstrad GX4000 thread where I upgrade the RAM to 128k, I decided to make some reproduction carts for the fun of it. Obviously there's no real need to do this as I have a C4CPC cart, but sometimes it's nice to pop in a cart and play a single game! I originally seen Mark from Mark Fixes Stuff doing this last year, and thought it looked like a fun little project....so lets crack on!

^^ First thing's first....I needed to grab some eprom chips to burn the game files to. I decided to go with x10 carts (x7 stock GX4000 games, and x3 homebrew/port games.) All of the stock GX4000 games fit on 27C1001 chips, but the ports/homebrew might need bigger chips like the 27C2001 or the 27C4001, depending on the size of the game.

^^ My stock GX4000 files are already in *.bin format, but the ports/homebrew titles need to be converted from *.cpr to *.bin

^^ Thankfully, this wonderful little piece of software does just the job for me.

^^ All done, I can now delete the *.cpr files and keep the *.bin files. That gives me x10 *.bin files to burn.

^^ I simply load up the software, and choose the eprom type I'm using...

^^ Choose the file to burn...

^^ And burn away....

^^ The generous Chinnery from the CPCwiki forums, released his PCB design for making CPC Plus carts.

^^ Wonderfully elegant little design. It can use genuine ACID chips from real CPC Plus carts if required, or, instead of harvesting those, it can use a simple logic inverter to defeat the copy protection routines in these games.

^^ My first cart will be an eprom tester with a socket. The sockets I had were too small to fit, so I had to use one, and join another section on. It's a little crude, but it's just an eprom test cart...nothing fancy here.

^^ Some of the components added...

^^ It's a fluxey mess....

^^ Cleaned up, and ready for testing...

^^ Wow, it actually works. Sweet.

^^ x10 more to go...it's very very easy soldering work, but definitely monotonous doing this much of it. I got them down to about 10 mins per cart, which isn't bad, until you multiply 10 carts by 10 mins....

^^ Proper cart now, no eprom socket, the eprom is soldered directly to the pcb.

^^ And testing show it works as expected.

^^ @Steve X2 very kindly printed up the cart shells for me. I went with Red as the GX4000 branding/carts have red accents. This way it'll very obviously be a reproduction cart also....which is good because I'm not trying to duplicate existing cart designs. The design for the shells was released by Cwiiis on the CPCwiki forums also.

^^ They look slightly pink here in this pic, but they're more red in person, and a very nice match for the console.

^^ Ok, all done. x10 carts and an eprom test cart ready for action.

^^ Next up was to use the P^^hotoshop template from Mark Fixes Stuff (thank you so much for the file Mark!) to design the specific cart labels I wanted.

^^ I then printed them out on some nice glossy photo paper.

^^ They look gorgeous in person, I'm chuffed with them.

^^ Using a cutting mat, a scalpel set, and a ruler, I set about cutting them out...

^^ They look absolutely brilliant, I'm genuinely delighted with these and how they turned out!

^^ Testing all the games, they all play perfectly.

^^ You could easily reproduce the whole GX4000 set if you wanted. A nice little collection of reproduction carts to enjoy!

Post edited by Inviere on

Comments

Advertisement