Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in extractor fan pipe in attic

Options
  • 05-01-2024 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on how to sort this issue. I have 2 extractor pipes in the attic that are linked to fans in the bathrooms and both are leaking, I've attached some photos and circled where the leak is coming from in the pipes. Just wondering how best to approach this would be better off getting the pipes replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

you could try sealing the joint with duct tape but in reality that pipe should be insulated from where it leaves the bathroom to where it exits the roof to prevent the moisture in the extracted air from condensing and flowing back down the pipe to the bathroom , while you are up there use some duct tape to close the insulation on the copper pipe and insulate the water tank as it looks like it has none if it has no lid you can make one out of a piece of kingspan type insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

The black tape you see in the photo is Gorilla tape I put that on recently but it still leaks can you recommend better tape? Also what's the best insulation that I should get for the pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

My advice is to try to reroute the ducting out the facia instead

as daithi says, the moisture in the extracted air is condensing and dripping back downwards

We rent so I'd have to speak with the landlord about rerouting the pipe. If I insulate the pipe that would help with condensation build up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

It will definitely help,but the vertical flow of the pipe will let any condensate run back down. A sloped pipe running to the facia will ensure condensate will run out. I’ve come across instances like yours where a flexible ducting would need to be emptied of a bucket full in the attic space

• Advertisement

Rerouting the ducting to a facia would that be a big job? And would it cost much to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

With a cold spell on the way, if I was in your shoes I would be more concerned about the botch job made of the pipe lagging as evident from the exposed copper pipe in pic. 1 Leave issue with the leaking air ducts for your landlord to sort out, the quality of workmanship is rather poor. It's best practice to keep number of joints to a minimum and avoid joining different types of ducts.

Advertisement