Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner in need of assistance (1200-1500 budget) (Video upscaling)

Options
  • 05-01-2024 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1200-1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? 

·       Multitasking (multiple documents, big spreadsheets, statistics programmes, browser tabs etc open at once).

·       Media playback. Playing 4k/2160p videos smoothly.

·       Statistical software programmes, databases like Eikon etc. General university kind of work.

·       Upscaling videos. Usually 480p to 1080p. I would like something that could handle this in a reasonable time frame and not take an entire day. I don’t know if this is possible with my budget. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, my current monitor can only handle up to 1080p I believe.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Bigger size preferred.  

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? My current device can only handle up to 1080p. I would like to upgrade from my current device.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless card.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I don’t know anything about.

8. How can you pay? PayPal /Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully within the next 2/3 months.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A.

Further information:

These are the specs of my current laptop:

Thinkpad E15 Gen 3 laptop

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics      2.10 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (14.8 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I would like something that is a significant upgrade on this device. I don’t know much about building a PC so I am open to any suggestions.

I know I will go for at least 32gb of RAM but I don’t know anything about processors, graphics cards etc. I would appreciate any advice or insight on this. I am a complete beginner.

Thank you. 

Comments

Advertisement