Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Data bundle for Central America

Options
  • 05-01-2024 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I will be travelling to Central America soon. I need a pre-pay data bundle package + sim. I am currently on GoMo and do not intend to switch. Therefore I would ideally need a pre-pay sim with data roaming that I will likely run in a miFi dongle so that I keep my own sim/ number in my phone and switch off mobile data. Any suggestions as to what providers are best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭grinder23

If your phone has esim you could look into Gomoworld

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I didn't even know what eSim was until researching in last 20 minutes. I will get on to what a found in a momement. So I just had a look at the GoMoworld deal. It is 1gb for €19.99.

In the meantime, I found Holafly. I can get 15 days (Costa Rica) unlimited for €47, so that seems to be the best option. eSims eh, no need to be swapping out sims, can keep my usual number and still WhatsApp. I'll be damned!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

I've used GoMoWorld before and it's a very good service if you are only in the country for a short time. Also gives you an Irish IP address which is handy if any Irish content is geo-blocked.

If you are planning on staying in a country for a longer time normally a local SIM is the way to go. I got a local SIM while in Guatemala with Claro (see SUPERPACK 15 GB https://www.claro.com.gt/personas/servicios/servicios-moviles/planes-y-precios/) for Q100 (~€12) and was able to use it in all the countries in Central America. I was able to top it up while outside the country but wasn't exactly straight forward from memory.

If Costa Rica is your first stop then the deals aren't as good at roughly €8 for 3GB and only for 15 days https://www.claro.cr/personas/servicios/servicios-moviles/prepago/paquetes/

But you have to swap sims if your phone isn't a dual sim phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Yeah a local sim would be inevitable I think if travelling for a long time. I didn't need the hassle of arriving without a sim and spending the next day or two trying to get one, (I'm advised not to get one at the airport on arrival and flight gets in late anyway). I need to be contactable on touchdown and not have to be worrying about a €2 charge to make or receive a call. Also, phone not dual sim.

Advertisement