Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Cross Border Directive for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia BPH

Options
  • 04-01-2024 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been a tough year or so after being diagnosed with benign prostate hyperplasia.

Went into hospital with infections and have been on a catheter for over a year now. Got a cystascope done so treatments have been outlined. I've decided not to have a TURP for the obvious serious possible side effects. I'm still relatively young ish.

Question is: after a year with St Vincents - they only have TURP - I've now been referred to Loughlinstown Hospital for consultation. Speculatively looking at probably earliest July for Rezum treatment which would be second preferred treatment after Green Light Laser. Not sure I can wait another 6-12 months on a catheter.

Any ideas anyone.

I rang HSE before re Cross Border Initiative - and they have said that the consultant CAN recommend me for a private Green Light Laser treatment but when I asked him he was oblivious and I have to say not very helpful either.

I know that I can get the Green Light Laser done in Spain as was talking to a company that provides everything once you land. Even though it's only available on private in Ireland the HSE will cover the value of equivalent type of therapy - TURP - and i'd have to pay the rest. So they would cover 6 K and I'd have to cough up a further 3 K.

I know Knightsbridge Hospital in Belfast do it. Really looking for anyone who has gone through all this.

Really really frustrated:

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 herbmeister

There's a new procedure in Tallaght hospital, much less invasive than a TURP, less side effects..

Enquire into that.

Try the National Treament Purchase Fund route... same as going to Kingsbridge only with Republic.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks Herbmeister.

I think Tallaght do the Urolift which isn’t suitable for me.

I did have a look at and left a message for call back from NTPF.

I may look at the CBD and pay the 3 K. Can’t go on living with this catheter for another 6-12 months.

Late n all but i’m getting Health Insurance next month and luckily i only have about 4% per annum loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 herbmeister

Never too late for health insurance, but a mine field indeed as to where you're covered and for what...

Don't give up on the NTPF, keep calling... you never know..

Beat of luck..

Advertisement