Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is living in Celbridge a good option?

Options
  • 04-01-2024 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I’m currently looking at possibly buying a property in Celbridge. I went through a lot of older discussions and saw that we have to stay clear of areas like st patricks park estate and ballymakealy lawns estate. Is it still the case with these estates? I want to know if there are much anti social behaviour there at nights or at any time or are there any localities we need to look out for when searching for a property?

I’m in my late 20s and hope to raise a family in Celbridge because of the proximity to Dublin as myself and my husband work in Dublin and moreover the town has all the facilities that we were looking for. So any information about Celbridge would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

I wouldn't rule out St Patrick's Park, it's right beside the village and is mostly elderly folk now. Ballymackealy is mostly KCC and wouldn't have much for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Saint Patrick's Park hasn't been trouble in 20 years or more.

Celbridge is obviously a lovely place to live if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes Patrick's park is fine, location is brilliant although you obviously have to deal with village traffic whereas other estates on outskirts you can dodge the village. houses will tend to be old and need a bit of work but if the price is right and you're happy to do it then go for it.

I wouldn't buy in Ballymakealy.

Can't think of any other areas I wouldn't buy in celbridge, nice town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Georich

Hi,

We did view a house in Ballymakealy lawns as well as in Wolstan haven but we really liked the house in Ballymakealy.

So is it because of anti social behaviour that we should avoid Ballymakealy or is there any

other reason?

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭scheister

Hi Georich, i am living in Celbridge all my life nearly 40 years and seen a lot of chances. Alot of people will talk about staying away from Patricks Parks and Ballymakealy. Main reason these are two old council estates. Both have had their troubles in past. I have not heard much as the park in more recent years. Most house their as now in private ownership or still renter to older people. End of the day the choice is what suits your family. Energy rating in these estate is likely quite low compared to new estates or the other estates in the town. Budget will play a part but if looking at either of these assets buying a former council house may have an extra hurdle if council permission is needed as part of the original sale agreement.

If working in Dublin Celbridge is a nice sleeper town. It is close enough to bus or train to work quickly and price can be a little cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Celbridge is a great town for raising a family although you will find yourself leaving the town for most things. It's pure suburban i.e. boring and safe. Not much there besides houses, schools, and transport out of there but it's nice and quiet with plenty of options for food and groceries. Castletown house and parklands is a great amenity although it's currently being ruined by a couple of developers who have taken away access for vehicles from the OPW and have plans to develop it into something. Loads of coffee shops in the town and nice little restaurants/takeaways.

Traffic is a nightmare at the moment with both main road entrances to the town via the M4 absolutely full around rush hour and school times. This is unlikely to get better in the medium term until there are new transport lines brought in. The buses have had a major revamp and are much better these days. Much better connections to the train lines and other routes although the C4 bus from Celbridge to the city centre still takes the guts of an hour thanks to it still taking a long detour through Lucan village.

As others have said St Patrick's park estate is mostly older couples now and very few issues in that area although it still does have a bad rep and it doesn't look as nice some other estates in the town. Ballymakealy you might still run into some trouble especially around Halloween with anti-social behaviour and while this is not as bad as it used to be probably not somewhere you should be looking to buy. That could change in ten years of course but there's no way to predict that kind of thing. You will get the usual teenagers hanging around shops as you would expect and the odd car rallying about the place at night but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grumpy22

Ballymakealy is big estate, and parts of it is very well established with families living since houses was build 25 years ago. There is some households in every estates in this country who are trouble to others. Integrated families are mostly in top right in estate in Springfield. More than half of housing are private owners. Estate is peaceful and safe for kids to play on greens, people are nice and keep things to themselves. If there was troubles in 1999 then those people are long gone from estates. So I do not understand why you put our community down. Celbridge is a nice town to be in. Schools are good , community work is good , people are friendly, commute to Dublin is good by public transport.

Do you live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Celbridge is grand, here all my life, no trouble in either of the estates mentioned either.

Exactly, I don’t understand why people who have no idea what is going on in Celbridge or estates around town actually comment . What is their point or agenda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement