Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth getting gas to my house to replace oil

Options
  • 04-01-2024 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi

i live on a road in dublin with gas in houses at either end (about 5 houses away on each side of me) but none in the middle section.

called gas networks ireland and they said i need at least 30% of the un supplied houses and it will cost about 10k for their works (!) also then need to convert over oil tank etc.

is this worth it?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If I understand you correctly, you would have to fork out €10k to convert to gas. In the unlikely event that you would save €500 per year by this conversion the pay back would be well over 20 years. Assuming your current oil boiler is regularly serviced it should have a life span of up to 30 years. If I was in your shoes I would do a lot of detailed number crunching before signing on the dotted line

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

With that type of suggestion they don't want your business. You've got your oil in the tank paid for and no standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Read an article recently about the fact that gas is way more expensive than oil for central heating

Advertisement