Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart heating recommendation

Options
  • 04-01-2024 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

have an oil heating system with new rads and an old Netatmo smart system attached that i have connected to Alexa. there is a hot water tank and an old push in dial to operate it.

I want to upgrade so i can control (a) upstairs vs downstairs if i have the fire on for example (b) control the hot water and see the temperature.

what system is best as netatmo dont seem to sell smart rad valves here and i dont really like the app so i want to change.

is the Hive system good for this? do i need anythign specific for the water tank?

what about installation? is it something that i need an electrician and/or plumber to do?

thanks!

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i upgraded my standard heating controls in our new build to drayton wiser.

started off with smart hub with 2 zones plus water.

worked well

now i have smart trv on all the rads. happy so far.

i dont see water temp. but can control on/off from phone/app/home assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have Tado with smart TRV's on an oil boiler system although the drayton system is supposed to be as good and cheaper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not up to speed on what's best, but I'd be looking at Tado first.

I was in early years ago with lightwave units. I have them for donkeys years. Had one socket failure after 13 years last Christmas.

I replaced my first TRV in January.

I got rid of their central controller though, have a nest

I know they are not the best but they do work I just have rechargeable batteries in them, not with changing them.

One thing I'd look at if I was changing was how easy it was to create virtual zones and .

My house is just one single circuit so smart zones etc are great.

Some rads like towel heaters can be difficult to fit units on so make sure whatever you get fits your rads

Advertisement