Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of QS for BoQ for renovation vs quotes from contractor

Options
  • 04-01-2024 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, sorry if this isn’t the best forum for this but just panicking a bit. We bought a 2 story, 4 bed house a couple of years ago that needs a fair bit of work; insulation, new heating pipes, rads etc We’ve had plans done up for a bit of restructuring down stairs as well. We want to have the work done over the summer (wife works in a school so can stay with the in-laws with the kids). So to the panic, I’m really not sure what the next step is before going to tender. Like everyone were tight on budget and will probably need to cat back on some things. We have the surveyors report, plans for downstairs and an energy report from an SEAI one stop shop. Would we be better off going to general contractors with what we have to get prices or going to a quantity surveyor to get something like a bill of quantities? Any advice from someone who’s been through this or who works in the area much appreciated!! Thanks!! Also any recommendations for QSs near Leixlip much appreciated via PM if allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Based on my limited experience (I am at the same stage as you), you probably need construction drawings from an architect/engineer and a bill of quantities from a QS to get accurate quotes that you can compare. Otherwise it's how long is a piece of string and you could have unforeseen costs.

I haven't started engaging with builders yet, but from speaking to colleagues and friends who have done similar, it was hard to get anything back from builders. I am not looking forward to the tendering stage at all.

I think a lot of it depends on the size of your project. If you have a 100k budget, it's harder to get a builder than if you have a 300k budget. It seems like it's hard for them to get a decent profit out of the smaller jobs.

Advertisement