Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van for consersion

Options
  • 03-01-2024 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Really thinking of buying a van and trying a conversion Myself i work work four days on and four off and would have plenty of time to give it .. i was looking and at ford transits and other models .. My question is what should my spend be on the van .. i trying trying to look at something for about 5,000 but was told i should be looking at 10000 and more with low milage

is milage that important as would they run indefinitely if treated well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get on to youtube and look at budget camper conversions there is guy in the UK that did nice job one one. I'd say it all depends on who will be using it, just you, you and partner, kids? Do you need a toilet, how will you power it.... it's total rabbit whole. Have fun.

Rust and mechanical issues are your biggest problems. If you convert a van you then have to pay VRT, it has to be tested every year. Then there are thr running costs, they drink more than cars.

If it was me, I'd do a merc sprinter, fiat ducato or transit. Say clear of anything french.

Bed/seating in the back, toilet and shower, gas grill/oven, cooker sink, hotwater, fridge. 300+W solar and LiFePo battery about 200AH Battery to battery charger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Shoog

Consider looking for a van that came before all the emissions controls. These tend to have simpler engines which are cheaper and easier to work on. If you can find a clean van up to 2006 then you might hit your €6k budget. In this category the Renault master stable of vans is worth considering - but not the newer ones. Budget for about €3k minimum for a half decent conversion.

Older fords tend to be rust buckets so be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

if you are planning on visiting Europe and going near cities .. they have low emmision rules which may bar older vans

Advertisement