Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Education for Parents

Options
  • 03-01-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Primary teacher here. Just spent Christmas at home, meeting the wider family and my cousins children/nieces/nephews all in either primary or secondary school. When talking to my cousins, it astounded me just how little interaction and explanation there was between home and school. They had "buzzwords" from the school - such as "Building Bridges", "subitising", etc. - but had no idea about what these meant or how to help their children improve in them. They hadn't been told that Building Bridges of Understanding was a comprehension approach, they didn't know that is consisted of 9 strategies, they didn't know which specific strategies their children were finding difficult, and they didn't know how to help their children with the strategies at home. Some of my cousins also struggled in school themselves due to having undiagnosed dylexia, and didn't want to question the teacher.

For this reason, I have made it my new years resolution to help parents understand education better. I have set up an Instagram page - @totalclassroomclarity - where I will put up weekly question boxes for parents to ask questions, and will also share information throughout the year on common practices, ideas to help your child, etc. If you want to follow along and get to know the education system better, please do!

Advertisement