Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft conversion insulation

Options
  • 03-01-2024 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi There,

I'm a bit lost and hoping for some advice, about to convert our attic to an office essentially,

I am being quoted numerous options for insulation, the main builder we are most likely to go with is proposing,

Ceiling insulated with Super foil multi layer insulation, 38mm warm board & plastered.

Walls insulated with 150mm Earth wool insulation, plaster boarded & plastered.

Does anyone have experience with the multi layer foul insulation?

Would I be better off going with another option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandeepvaidya

I would like to ask a question regarding our recently-concluded loft conversion.

The attached photos show the eaves after we converted our attic to a bedroom. As agreed, the attic company installed the OSB floors and sprayed the roof. We are planning to use the area mainly for storage.

Now, the questions!

1) Is it OK from health, hygiene or maintenance POV to leave the foam as is? Or should we cover it with something? Should we shave it up to the rafters? Besides asking them, how can I tell if it is an open or closed cell? Does it matter?

2) Re. the OSB floor. Is it OK to leave it as is, or do we need to cover it with something?

3) They have left a considerable gap on the sides where the OSB meets the roof and where the OSB meets the room plaster wall. Can these gaps be safely covered? I know that in an un-insulated attic, an air-circulation gap is necessary.

Post edited by sandeepvaidya on

Advertisement