Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire stick or cromecast to take on a holiday

Options
  • 03-01-2024 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi We are going away to Spain for 5 weeks and would like to be able to watch tv in the evenings.

I have a fire stick that I do not use and I also have a cromecast on a tv that I could bring.

Which of these would be best to watch Netflix etc on. We have Sky go on an iPad and would like to be able to cast to tv.

The place we are staying had internet I am not very tecky so something simple is required.

Are either of these a good option?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I prefer the Chromecast since I got it.

Allows you to install most of the streaming TV apps. I take this with me when travelling.

Just note that some providers restrict what you can view when travelling. Certainly the case with Amazon. Not sure about Sky Go.

These apps are supported on Chromecast:

Netflix

YouTube

Disney Plus

Amazon Prime Video

Hulu

HBO Max

Paramount Plus (currently €40 for a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Firestick with an iptv package. No brainer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable

There’s no discussion of piracy here.

The Portability Regulation should mean that you should have access to your domestic content library when travelling in the EU. Not sure if all streamers are playing ball with that (I’m looking at you, Paramount+).

Sky Go doesn’t allow casting. I know they’re living in the dark ages, but they see it a protecting multiroom. It’s especially annoying because Now TV does. It can be put on a TV with a laptop, games console, or Apple TV but you might not want to lug either of the first two on holidays and I’m taking it you don’t have the third (and it’s a steep investment albeit if you are going for as long as five weeks it might be worth it - cheaper refurbished versions can be bought from eir).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hey,

I didn't suggest an illegal package did I?

Can you remove the warning. Don't ignore my PM.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s no discussion of moderation on thread. I am removing your warning for the original post taking your bone fides (which I am dubious about), but you are now being issued with a new warning, for discussing moderation on thread. Edit: it doesn’t seem to be possible to remove it, but I regard it as removed.

Please appreciate it is a work day, and I have a full time job, and moderating this site is not it. I may not be able to instantly respond to PMs and that needs to be understood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement