Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion on best environmental way to dispose dog Poop from the backyard

Options
  • 03-01-2024 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

we have a small backyard where my dog loves to do her business in the morning. So far, we collect it with compostable bags and dispose in our black bin. At least we are not adding more plastic, but this does add on weight for our black bin collection and also ends up in a waste field.

What could be a better option?

1. Compost ... there are composter for dog poop. Anyone using any in a smal backyard?
    2. Flush in the toilet. There are biodegradable bags you can use to flush your dog poop in the toilet. On paper, that would look like the best solution as it would then be treated through the sewage.

For what I read, not all Waste management system can deal with the bacterias found in Dog Poop. Anyone know if that is the case or not in Ireland, in particular Dublin ?> or how to find out?

Any other advice?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Flush it down the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Bury it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Flush it without the bag. Bags don't degrade straight away and may block pipes and cause big expensive problems.

I wouldn't bury it no more than you would go burying human sh1te in the garden, full of pathogens.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Small shovel and the toilet. Forget the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mine either goes into the septic tank, pre fitler or down the toilet. its a whole process set up for dealing with **** like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When we got the pup and suddenly had poos in the garden again I got a small kitchen caddy bin for the garden .. we bag the poo and then take the bags on our next walk and deposit into the first bin we pass. Not helping the environment but keeps our bin weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

same as others, luckily have easy access to sewer, so down she goes, walkies sh1te generally goes into the black bin though.....

Advertisement