Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer options for post primary teachers

Options
  • 03-01-2024 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering what summer employment is an option to a graduate post primary teacher?

l know exam supervision is an option for June which is nice to have as an option but would like to find out if there’s anything with more interaction.

Thinking of doing TEFL when finished placement.

Also are there any schools abroad that are suitable for teachers to bring family with them for summer months?

I’m looking for ideas in Ireland and abroad. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Apply to be an SEC examiner. It's great experience, is a lot easier to do it before you have kids, looks very good on your cv. Financially, it's not really worth it as your nett income will be c. 52% of the gross and you'll lose much of the summer. But it will give you a good insight into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Numbersman

Yeah I will second Gaiscoich, it is fast paced but would only last a few weeks in July / maybe August depending on what your subject is. SEC has a website that goes through it all if you wanna check it out

https://secexaminer.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, the pay rates for examining have improved greatly in recent years. They also have bonus type payments for returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Im considering correcting for the first time (Maths) Anyone have an idea when the conference would usually be for Maths? Looking to book a holiday for June and be back in time. Also how many scripts would you be expecting to correct a day? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a guideline, these were last year's dates: https://secexaminer.ie/conference-dates/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Correcting exams is the best CPD you will ever do. Everyone should try do it once.

Rates of pay were uplifted in ladt few years so even though you het hammered in tax you come out with a decent amount of cash. I hot 3k after tax and was working for 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭glut22

Is a student teacher likely to be allowed correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Most definitely. It will probably be Junior Cycle for a few years. It's great training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whos to know you ever actually did the correcting if you put it on your cv? i only ever heard negative stories about it. would working for cash not be a better option for summer? i know hard enough to get work to fit that bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Well as someone who has worked for the SEC for many years, it has been hard work but has had fantastic results in my teaching - no comparison to what I did in my dip. Rates have improved significantly in the past few years. It would be a +1 for me if I were interviewing and a candidate had SEC experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I wouldnt mind trying it alright often thought of it. its just they seem to give you a huge amount to correct, would 100 scripts not be plenty. correct 10 a day for 10 days and it would be done in 2 weeks, why do they put people off by giving so many to do. or do theye give a small amount in the first years of people doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Statistics... You'll get a better baseline if one person is correcting many papers as they get a better sense of the overall standard and expectations.

Also your advising examiner has less people to manage

Consider extrapolating your logic down... would it be better to have 200 teachers correct 1 exam each as opposed to 1 teacher correcting 200 exams?

I did it back in the day , and yes , it showed me exactly what to teach and how to keep in line with the subject specification. But definitely the month of July is a write off the first time.

Because you don't get paid fully for a long while after you'll be tempted to spend it before you get it... then when you eventually get it you'll look at how much has been taken in tax😭

Someone mentioned a good tip before. Say to yourself that you'll buy X in October once the money comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Because you'd need thousands more teachers across the board to do it. That's not practical unless you make it compulsory, and then you'd be going down a road where teachers were marking against their will. It would also be harder to monitor marking because there would be so many people involved. It's a full time job for the month of July and you get paid accordingly. If you don't want to work full time for the month, then don't sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Would they ever make it pensionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

No.

You buy access to your pension based on your time served. There's a maximum limit on it.

There's some stupid anomaly where you're considered a contractor... and not an employee of the SEC... ,but yet they take your tax. Had this changed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Nope, hasn't changed. I tend to get 48% of whatever I earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

If not pensionable would it bring up the amount you earn in a year and thus allow you to contribute a bit more and avail of tax relief for that year for it to an something like an AVC I wonder?...

A fair whack of tax is being taken it strikes me as something you should be able to do.

Advertisement