Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking through a supporting wall downstairs., Yes/No..?

Options
  • 02-01-2024 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right area for this question. To keep it short, we were going to insulate our kitchen but also

put in a downstairs shower which would take up some of our kitchen. Now the wall which is a supporting wall would

need to be broken through to provide entry for the shower area, coming from the utility room...

I know that perhaps a girder would perhaps be needed, anything can be done I know but I'm quite nervous

on this one. One builder I think is shying away from it...The other is a bit ..'chatty' on the whole thing and thinks no problem,

already said no to him as I don't care to believe a word from him....We'll still get the kitchen insulated, so gutted first, but not too sure about this wall. The house was build circa 1980...

If anyone has any ideas on this I'd be very appreciative

R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Generally supported walls need to be supported while they are being taken down, and then new structures are put in place to support it. It's messy work.

We are planning to extend our kitchen and knock a supporting wall between current kitchen and dining room to make it open plan. In the current climate and outragous pricing, your probably talking about 2-3k to remove and restructure a load bearing wall.

Don't be put off by lads saying no problem. We had new windows and doors put in before Christmas. We wanted to put in a new landing window and french doors instead of a dining room window. All the mainstream window and door providers said they don't do building works and ones that did gave way over the top pricing and explanations what was required.

We went in the end with a local window company and the owner was very relaxed about the building works saying no problem, which was totally the opposite of everyone else. They did fantastic work and we couldn't recommend them enough.

Got to remember some folks are more experienced and some don't want the hassle of some types of works.

If your doing major restructure work to your house the recommendation is to speak with an architect and engineer. Maybe look into some of the companies that are basically project managers for this type of work. They will guide you through whats needed etc. and make sure things are structurally sound.

Advertisement