Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove concrete garage roof

Options
  • 02-01-2024 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

I live in a Dublin suburb and like many houses built within the 50's, 60's and 70's my garage has a concrete roof which is joined to my neighbors garage roof. The garage floor is also about 500mm lower than the main part of the house.

I want to convert the garage into a living space and too increase the floor level in the garage to be in line with the house. For this to work I will need to knock the garage roof. The garage roof looks like its been poured and is about 150mm thick in places.

has anyone dealt with this situation before and if so what did you do?

Any advise will be welcomed.

Regards

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭The Ging and I

I once helped a pal with something similar. It was a 50/60s outside toilet with the same type of concrete roof. I hired a trolly mounted con saw and cut the roof flush to the party wall. It was a neat cut .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pentax

Thanks "The Ging and I",

My concrete flat roof goes from the main house to a shared boundary wall. Do you know anyone who can and has already removed a concrete roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

My neighbour did exactly this recently. Shared wall between the two garages. The builders did a decent job at removing the roof, they didnt actually go tight to the wall on their side, left an overhang to give some protection to the wall. Only problem is now that its an exterior wall for my garage and is only a 4 inch solid block it's not really suitable as an exterior wall. I did suggest that they might externally insulate it on their side but they were not too interested. I now find that my garage is a lot colder and I will have to tear down all my storage racking and insulate inside. My advice would be to take hundreds of "before" photos on both yours and their side as there will be a certain amount of cracking, so useful to go back on if there are any disputes after.

Advertisement