Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop cat scratching door

Options
  • 02-01-2024 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭

About 2 years ago we took in a rescue cat. We started feeding her when she showed up in our garden clearly hungry and after checking with neighbours no one owned her. We also had her checked for a chip.

Since I'm quite allergic I never wanted the cat in the house. However after having her chipped and neutered she had to spend a week inside. So then she got used to being allowed in the house. My young children and wife also got used to her in the house so then she was an inside and outside cat.

She likes to spend the night outside so this wasn't really an issue.

After the two years and especially during the winter she tends to sleep inside now.

My problem is that at about 3:30/4 every morning she starts to scratch at the living room door to be let outside.

I have tried leaving a window open upstairs but she doesn't use it. Giving her the run of the house at night doesn't work. I also can't just throw her out as she spends her time scratching at the door to be left in so clearly locking her out makes her miserable so even tho that would be the easiest I won't do it.

I do not want to install a kitty door. We have new back doors and if anything happens this cat we will not get a new one. She has access to food and a litter tray at night. I am out of ideas on how to stop her scratching. Hanging something on the inside of the living room door doesn't work either. Then she scratches something else to make noise and miaows.

Are there any ideas on something else I can try to stop her scratching and waking me.

Comments

Advertisement